Re-Heating Pulled Pork ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl F.

Had some leftover pulled pork from Saturday. Re-heated it in the microwave on Sunday and became very tough and stringy. I thought Micro would be better than oven because I thought it might become dried out in the oven. Any suggestions??

The key in the microwave is gentle reheating, and don't overdo on the time. Set the power way down to 30 or 40% and check it after 2 minutes. A tablespoon per serving of broth added to the meat in a covered dish helps make sure things stay moist.

My favorite method of reheating BBQ is to place all the leftovers into vacuum bags. Fill a pan with tepid tap water, place the bag in the water, then slowly heat. When the water starts to boil, the meat should be heated through.

Ed

Done that as well, and it works great. We need to remember that, when most meats originally come out of the cooker, they are far below 212*. No reason to heat it any more than necessary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The key in the microwave is gentle reheating, and don't overdo on the time. Set the power way down to 30 or 40% and check it after 2 minutes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug D is exactly right. We always reheat butt and brisket (chopped) in the microwave. Put it in a casserole dish (or tupperware) with the lid on, add a little liquid (water, broth, apple juice) and reheat "gently" for 2-3 minutes at 30-50% power (depending on how powerful your microwave is), check it, and continue reheat (if necessary) in 1-2 minute intervals at same power setting until hot. It should be moist. Only reheat what you intend to eat that night, b/c repeated microwaving of the meat will dry it out.

Thanks for the tips. Just microwaved some leftovers at work for lunch, following the suggestions above. Added a little water. Tastes great. Moist and not tough. Plus now the office kitchen smells like a BBQ Pit (which is a big improvement).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back