Re-Heating Pork Butt for Friday

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
I am cooking two 8lb butts starting early tomorrow morning Thursday. I have to transport them 20 miles on friday morning to my office at 7:30am. Sometime between 11:30-12:00pm I will only have access to a microwave and a Weber Kettle to reheat the pork. My thought was to keep the pork in the foil pan and heat it on the weber with the corn iam cooking with it.

What do you think?

Also should I pull the pork before I get to the office or after the re-heat

hi Rick
I just went thru this a couple of months ago and i used a crock pot. I was working with about the sametime frame as you and it took most of that time to heat up with occasional stirring from a cold refrigerated product. If you do something like this be sure to bring a bottle or 2 of extra sauce you'll need it.
I had a friend at work bring the c.p. .It gave them something to bring to the lunch instead of food.Ask around someones got one under the sink.
I would definitly pull when your thru cooking. We made sammiches with mine and a simple plastic cooking spoon works perfectly for filling hamburger buns.
Hope this helps
Jeff

I would start them a little bit later in the day on Thursday (around noon). You could pull them off the smoker right before you leave for work wrap them in foil, then in a towel, and put them in a heated cooler. I bet they would still be above 180 when you serve them on Friday. Butts really hold heat well.

Well

I thought about the cooler Ideat to however I relly wont have the room to pull pork the office or the time. I am going to use a huge crock pot. Now the question is will the pork stay moist or should I add a liquid to the crock?

Rick, I second Shawn. You'll serve a much nicer product by pulling it off the smoker that morning, wrapping it in foil, and pulling the pork at lunch time. It doesn't take much room or time to pull two butts. Worst case scenario is you bring a box of gloves and let everyone pull their own pork (butt that is).

I third Shawn - I regularly do butts or briskets to bring to work, and time them such that they come off the smoker between 6 and 7 am, wrap 'em up tight in foil and polar fleece, tuck them in the rolling cooler along with a couple of foil pans, towels, knives, gloves, and foil. They're still very hot come lunch time. A conference room table or empty desk is my "kitchen", and a nicely cooked and rested butt will quickly fall apart in abject fear if you just point a knife at it. Slide a bone out for your co-workers for the dramatic effect of it, and then just chunk up the meat a little bit, telling them that it's a miniature "pig pickin'", and that they have to do their own pulling as Russ suggested.

If you do go with the crockpot, I would add a little liquid. Courtesy of Dale G and tweaked a bit by me, try blending 1/3 cup each apple juice, chicken broth, and bbq sauce, (or 2/3 cup apple juice and 1/3 cup bbq sauce), adding a tablespoon of your rub and maybe a tablespoon or two of cider vinegar. It's okay if it tastes pretty salty - pork likes salt. Add about 1/2 to 1 cup of this concoction per each cooked butt as you're chunking it up. Be SURE to put this liquid in a Mason jar with a hand-written label on the top clearly reading BUTT JUICE. Adds to the mystique, doncha know...
icon_wink.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time (dba HOT WIRE BBQ)

Ok, Since Shawn244 is my brother and has been doing this longer than me I guess I will also Fouth his advice. The pans are ready and the butts should come off around 7:AM I have the cooler and pleanty of foil.

Can I use a Fleece sweat shirt?

Depends on the color... a red sweatshirt will keep the meat hotterfor a longer time than a shorter wave-length color like, say, violet or blue.
icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though, wrap 'em in about 3 layers of foil, then in some old clean towels to catch any drips, and then an old sweat shirt, blanket, or anything that will give you as much insulation as possible. I buy tag ends of polar fleece at the Walmart fabric department when I find half a yard or so in the bin - a half a yard of the 60" width is perfect to wrap around a butt or brisket about 3 times.

Even wadded-up newspaper-- enough to fill the remaining airspace in the cooler above the towel-wrapped meat-- will help retain heat and extend holding time.

Back