Re-heating a cooked un-cut brisket?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hi everyone. I have lurked for awhile but never posted before. I have used the search function but did not find an answer for my question. I just got back from Ray Lampe's (Dr. BBQ) competition class in Portland this weekend and brought home a fully cooked brisket with the point still on. I need some advice for serving tomorrow. I was thinking of cutting of the point and re-heating the point on the smoker for burnt ends but am not sure. Should I cut the brisket while it is cold and then re-heat in the oven with broth or apple juice? Any advice would be appreciated.

Justin

Justin, do you have a vaccuum sealer? Since I usually pack my cooked briskets and butts whole or in halves in a vac bag, I instruct the folks for whom I cook to set the vaccuum-packed cooked packer brisket down into a large pot of water, bring it to a simmer, and let it stay at a low simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes. (That's the way I reheat at home as well.) You can then remove the whole brisket from the vac bag and proceed like it was fresh off the smoker. If you do this with a freshly cooked brisket, put it in the vac-bag, set it in the fridge, and let it chill well BEFORE sealing it, and you can avoid getting juices sucked up into your machine.

Just my own 2-cents' worth...

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

I do a similar thing and it has become my method of choice. I don't use a lot of water (enough so that the vac'd bag can be submerged) and bring the water to a boil, covered, first. Then I put the bag in (which lowers the water temp) and I leave the pot uncovered and turn the flame fairly low. This gives me ~155-165 water and I just let it go for a while. There is an eventual limit but you can go quite a long time at this and not cook the brisket more at all. A higher water temp is okay if your burner does not go low but try to go no higher than 180 for any appreciable time. If the brisket was not cooled quickly or if you are unsure of timing there then I'd recommend a water temp of no lower than 165 and let it go a while to make sure the meat hits that temp throughout.

Thanks for the advice. I have vacuum sealed the brisket and will follow the advice you both have given me when I re-heat tomorrow.
Best,
Justin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
Justin, do you have a vaccuum sealer? Since I usually pack my cooked briskets and butts whole or in halves in a vac bag, I instruct the folks for whom I cook to set the vaccuum-packed cooked packer brisket down into a large pot of water, bring it to a simmer, and let it stay at a low simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes. (That's the way I reheat at home as well.) You can then remove the whole brisket from the vac bag and proceed like it was fresh off the smoker. If you do this with a freshly cooked brisket, put it in the vac-bag, set it in the fridge, and let it chill well BEFORE sealing it, and you can avoid getting juices sucked up into your machine.

Just my own 2-cents' worth...

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! The fresh smoked smell when you cut open the vac-bag is heaven.

Back