Rate My Box

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Here are my boxes from my last comp. Feel free to critique, and post up pics of your own boxes too. Maybe we can build a nice thread.

j biesinger 6/11 chicken
IMG_1162.JPG

j biesinger 6/11 ribs
IMG_1163.JPG

j biesinger 6/11 pork
IMG_1164.JPG

j biesinger 6/11 brisket
IMG_1165.JPG

CBJ

8 due to uniformity issues in size and trim.
Didn't I see that bird box on BBQ critic?

Mark

Here's a couple of my entrys from Morgan Hill, 1st KCBS this year.
Score away!!

morganhill2011031.jpg

morganhill2011006.jpg

morganhill2011021.jpg

who are those guys??

Thanks for the thread J.

8 due to uniformity issues in size and trim.
Didn't I see that bird box on BBQ critic?

wasn't me. My presentations scores are the least of my worries, I just posted them up here for fun.

That chicken box scored: 8 9 9 9 9 6. I'm not sure its a 9 but I was surprised, that after all the work we did to that box, somebody could say it was a 6.

Mark, that brisket box is 10. I've been squaring up my flat prior to cooking but its tough to judge how much it will shrink up. My box above wasn't cut down enough and didn't fit.

It all looks perfect to me. Competition chicken always looks to me to be a little too perfect, but that's the aesthetic in the Q Comp World apparently. I guess that's why I don't compete in Q (except here).
It's all truly impressive Jeff and Mark. Wishing you both luck for the season. Keep us informed.

Competition chicken always looks to me to be a little too perfect, but that's the aesthetic in the Q Comp World apparently.

I wondered if the judge who gave me the 6 didn't have a bug up his/her butt about sculpted chicken. I heard a rumor that some judges have started marking down "muffin pan" chicken because its so distinct and everybody's doing it. Then again, I remembered its impossible to figure out what goes on inside a judges head.

I'd eat that!

I don't know much about comp bbq. But if all the other meats are sliced to show how the interior meat looks. Or even placed in the box to highlight the sliced side of the meat. Wouldn't u score better show casing chicken in the same way?

Sliced with the shiny glaze seems to be what they like right!?

But I like how u have to plan out the brisket to fit the box and not be too squared prior to cooking.

Not to sound too harsh, but I would say the judge who gave you a 6 on your chicken appearance has an eyesight problem. All your turn-ins looked great to me! I give you 9,s!

Is it better to only use thighs? Or does and even split of thighs and legs work well also?
Your boxes look great! Hope I can get mine to look that good at my firts comp.

CBJ here -

I probably would go all 8's on appearance, just at first glance.

The judge that gave those thighs a 6 on appearance should have gotten an visit from the contest rep.....

Pat

J-

9-8-9-8 CBJ

I am a fairly new judge. This is my second year and I have five contests under my belt.

To me, appearance is the toughest to judge and is easily where I am most liberal. It is a MEAT contest, not a pretty contest afterall.

I do very much remember in my judging certification class, the instructor was tougher on making us defend our appearance scores than any other score.

9-8-8-7 appearence scores from me. Very nicely done. (I am not a CBJ)

Since the OP encouraged us to post pics of turn ins, I am going to post a pic of my most recent chicken turn in.
sheecone-1.jpg

Would you all believe this turn in scored 9-9-8-9-7-2 in appearance? Yep, someone gave it a 2.

Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
Would you all believe this turn in scored 9-9-8-9-7-2 in appearance? Yep, someone gave it a 2.

Maybe they thought the lettuce was too curly? Seriously, I'm not a judge...but there is no way that's a 2!

Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
Clark you think the 2 is because this judge mistakenly thought you didn't include enough pieces? That's strange.
Can't give a 2 for not enough pieces, much less the appearance of not enough pieces. Per KCBS rules: "If there is not enough meat for each judge to sample, the shorted judge(s) will score a one (1) on all criteria, and the judges having samples will change the Appearance score to one(1)."

Originally posted by j biesinger:
my guess too. I'm wondering why the table captain didn't make a ruling?
This went all the way to the KCBS contest reps, who told the particular judge that a 2 was innappropriate for an appearance score as 2 indicates it is not edible. Since the entry had yet to be placed in the judges mouth, it could not be considered inedible. The reps told me the judge said she "didn't like the way it looked".

Of course, it was judge 6 that gave me the 2. It's always judge 6.

If judge 6 is always suspect, I propose we eliminate judege 6 and replace with judge 7. There is presedent for this as is done when #13 is eliminated such as in floors in a hotel, no 13th floor.
I am at least glad that the #6 judge had a word with the KCBS rep. Fortunately that 2 score was thrown out of the tally.
As a side question re the part of the chicken that you presented, sliced ? I assume breast, trimmed.

Mark

Originally posted by mk evenson:
Fortunately that 2 score was thrown out of the tally.
Actually, the 2 score was kept as she gave me high taste and tenderness scores. (I have found that it is the lowest cumulative score that gets tossed)

As a side question re the part of the chicken that you presented, sliced ? I assume breast, trimmed.

Mark

Yes, sliced, skin on, trimmed breasts. Slightly overcooked but still juicy, and just a touch too salty but still very good, and in no way a 2 in appearance.

Clark, your box really looks nice. I hear that the judge who scored you low will not be returning next year.

Dan

Since the OP encouraged us to post pics of turn ins, I am going to post a pic of my most recent chicken turn in.

as this thread grows, might it make sense to specifically label each pic and refer to it when rating?http://tvwbb.com/groupee_common/ver1.3.7.9830/platform_images/blank.gif

I edited the original post to reflect: poster, date, meat.

The reps told me the judge said she "didn't like the way it looked".

maybe they thought they were baked potatoes?

Back