Range of ET-73

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am somewhat disappointed with the range of this thermometer.The most I can get is about 30 to 35 feet before it fails to update. What are others getting? Is there another one out there with better range? I tried a Brookstone which does have much better range but only goes up to 180* not much good for briskets and butts!

Well,,, so far Im only getting about 5 feet with mine. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Just got it in the mail today,,, was excited when it arrived, but getting more and more dissapointed.
Even tried putting new batteries in it thinking maybe the ones that came with it were going out.
If I point mine just right (maybe need to add a peep sight or a high powered rifle scope) I can get an update at 10 foot.
Hopefully it will get better though.
Im pretty sure Im calabrating it right,(following the intstructions) and I get the beep it mentions.
Exactly where is the sensor located on these things,,, I see nothing, would work better if it had an antenna of some type.

Earl and Jeff, I have had an ET-73 for a few months. While it is not perfect, I have lost a signal a few times , it overall has performed well. While I have not measured how far the signal is strong, it has worked when used on the back patio of an apartment and a home. No loss of signal 98% of the time. Some of the more experienced may have suggestions.

Bizarre. Mine works great and at a good distance. Can put receiver in my bedroom which is maybe 50' and 3 walls away from the WSM.

I'm using rechargeable NiMh batteries, Lenmar I believe.

I've had pretty good luck with distance on mine up to about 35 feet and going through at least one door. I think it helps to have not so much metal between the units though...I always put the transmitter on the near side of the WSM, I think that makes a difference. I don't think walls/doors matter much at all until you start going through lots of metal objects/appliances.

I've noticed (and I think that I read this in the manual), that if I walk around with the unit and go just outside of range and then back in, that it won't reacquire signal...you have to "reboot" both units. I've had to do this a couple of times until I found the "sweet spot" in my house to place the receiver (fortunately right by my easy chair). /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The only time I lost the signal in almost a year now
is when I took it over to my neighbors basement.
Upstairs in the neightbors kitchen, it worked just
fine. It must be at least 75 - 100 feet over there.
Never lost a signal anywhere within my own house
no matter how many walls inbetween.

Jeff - If you are not getting a signal 5-10 feet
away, return it for a new one. There is something
wrong with it.

Just got off the phone with a very nice gentleman named Bernie.
He said there must be something wrong with it also.
Told me to ship it to his attention, and he'd get a repacement out ASAP.
Now that's what I call service.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back