Randys' jerky process came out great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Ventura

TVWBB Member
Just smoked about 6 pounds of teryaki venison jerky last night and it turned out great thanks to all the great info at Randy's site. I did make a few mods to the recipe, nothing major though. I like a strong teriaki flavor so I added about a cup of teriaki sauce to the marinade. I also add about a quarter cup of Hoisin sauce. This is a very rich and thick sauce that you can get at most major food chains in the oriental section. Would make a great baste all by itself, but would have to be watered down a bit, it has an excellant oriental flavor and would do real well on pork. Anyways, the only thing I might do differently next time is to add a bit more pepper, but thats strictly my taste buds talkin'.

I was able to keep a steady 160* on the cooker using a variation of the standard method. I cut the bottom out of a large coffee can and set it in the middle of the charcoal grate. I filled the can to within about 3 inches of the top, and then put about a dozen lit coals on top. I then put mesquite chips on the top, packed firm, as I thought this would help restrict air flow and slow the burn rate down....it did! At two hours, the temp was starting to drop down to about 150*, and I started about 8 coals in the chimney. I lifted the middle section off the cooker and stirred the can to eliminate the ash, I then added unlit coal to the top of the remaining hot coals, tossed the chimney coals on top of that, and again leveled the top off with wood chips...got another two hours at 160*. Replenished the coals at four hours, no more wood chips this time, as now we just want to continue drying the jerky out.

The first of the jerky came off at 6 hours...these were the ones closest to the outside of the cooker, but I noticed that pieces near the center weren't yet dry enough, so I left those on for another hour, no need to replenish the coals, as the temp never dropped below 150*

On a final note, there's no water in the pan, and the top of the pan was lined with foil.
So if you've ever wanted to make jerky in the WSM, but were concerned about temp control, fuhgetabotit!!....this worked like a charm. I've got about 40# of venison left in the deep freeze from the 02/03 hunt that'll all be jerkynated before the end of the month!!
Thanks to all that supplied info through this website on jerky making....I wouldn't have been able to pull it off without yas!

Tony

sounds awesome Tony! jerky is way up there on my list of things to try ... question for ya, did you do the tray approach and lay the meat out or did your try the skewer method and hang long strips from the top rack or some other way? ... the skewer is the one I'm leaning towards and wondering how well it works....

Thanks for the link Bill, I have been to Kev's page as well, and have it on file. It was a tossup as to which reicpe's to use first, and I'm sure, based on all the references to these two sites, that they're equally good.

In answer to your question Shawn, I used the toothpick method...a huge pain as Randy readily admits, but I didn't want to experiment too much on the first go around. I did purchase some racks similar to the ones that Kevin found except they were rectangular, but for 2 bucks apiece at Meijers I thought I'd give 'em a shot on the next go around. Seems to me that good industial strengh racks with the perferations can be had from a resturant supply house...you know...the ones used by some pizzarias to put the pies on when they slide 'em in the oven. That'll be the next thing I check into once I've tried out the cheapie racks.

Tony

I do have one question for you seasoned jerky pros...Kevin's recipe calls for just one tsp of cure for 5# of meat, while Randy's calls for a half cup of cure for 5#'s. The half cup measure seems to be more in line with what it says on the tenderquick package. I have to admit, the amount of cure to add to the marinade still seems a bit of a mystery to me, and I've been unable to find anything definitive on the web. I did wind up compromising on this batch between the two recommendations and threw in about 2 tablespoons of cure. Any insight in this regard would be greatly appreciated...and remember...my undying appreciation and a buck and a half will get you a cup of coffee in most any diner in the country, I garrrrunnnnteeee! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tony

Stogie's main jerky page recipe calls for 1/3 cup Tender Quick to five pounds of meat, as well as a liberal amount of kosher salt. The recipes on the subsequent page call for 1 tablespoon per one pound of meat.

Right you are Doug about Stogies recipe calling for 1/3 cup of cure rather than the 1/2 that I said previously. You know the mind is the first thing to go...I ferget what the second is. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back