Raising the temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crstacey

Everywhere I read people are trying to lower the temp. I 've only had my WSM a week, but I have problems raising the temp. Of the 3 cooks I did last weekend 2 I had all the vents 100% the entire cook. temp held steady but would not climb. What to do to raise temp? I wanted to cook my Turkey between 325 ~ 350 I couldn't get a bit higher than 307. water pan was empty. I used 2 full chimney's and the coals were completely lit before I assembled. Weather according to my log: Light Rain With Thunder, 66° Breezy, Wind SW 16MPH, Humidity 65% but I had the WSM just inside the garage to block wind.

Were you using Weber chimneys ? They hold about 6 lb as opposed to 4 for regular chimneys. You're describing the Standard Method and usually the temp is around 400 before you put the meat on. If you put it on at 400, I would think it should drop into the range you're looking for. Other than needing more fuel, I can't think of another solution, right now.

Paul

The chimney most often referred to here is the Weber, which holds 6 pounds-- as opposed to only four with smaller chimneys. I also find it beneficial to assemble the cooker, let the temp top out, and, with the vents set at about 50% each, let the temp drop only to about 400-425* before adding the turkey. 10-12 pounds of cold mass of meat puts a big hit on the energy output of the charcoal bed, so it's good to lead it some, i.e. not wait until the cooker comes down to the desired cooking temp range.

Yes I am using the Weber chimney...I guess next time I'll make sure the thing is good and hot before adding anything. I'll assemble the cooker and leave all vents open (the door too if I have to) and wait until it reach 400 or so. Maybe start out with hot water too...

Crstacey, You did have the water pan on the tabs right under the lower grate and not ontop of the charcoal ring. Just asking Bryan

If your goal is to roast turkey at 325-350*, you'll need to leave the pan dry-- not even hot water. You shouldn't need to leave the door off to achieve an initial empty cooker temp of 450-500* with two fully-lit Weber chimneys. Don't be offended, but you aren't placing the pan directly on top of the charcoal ring, are you? (It has been done before-- on TV, too.)

Yep the water pan was on the rack where it's supposed to (directly beneath the second rack) I just mentioned hot water because I did some salmon monday and started out with cold water as the recipe called on this site (Brown Sugar Rub) I wanted to be in the 250 range but I had all vents at 100% and couldn't get above 200

I feel sure if you use 2 Weber chimneys that are both fully ashed over, an empty foiled lined pan and assemble the cooker you're going to be over 400 within 5 to 10 min. THEN add the meat and it should bring you down to range. One of your posts seemed to indicate you were below 400 when the meat went on. If you were only at your cooking range when the meat went on, then it would suck up heat at that point and you could have a problem ever getting back up.

Let us know how it goes.

Paul

When Bryan mentions the boiliing water test, he really means you should be doing a chuck roll instead of a turkey!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back