Rain cant slow me down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Perry

TVWBB Guru
I just put an 8 lb shoulder on that I bought at Wally World that was on sale for .92 cents a lb. Rain is the forcast but I have to have this thing done for tomorrows football game.
Have any of you ever cooked a Smithfield Pork Shoulder?
DP

Dale

When it rains on me, I use my patio unbrella. If you have a golf unbrella, clamp it on something to cover your smoker. If you have nothing just go with it. The rain won't put the fire out, but it will cool your smoker down a bit. I left it uncovered once during a heavy rain for about 45 min. and it recovered just fine.

Just checked the temp at the dome and it is at 230. The WSM just makes it easy. Steady and smelling great!
My rub used this time is:
1/3 cup turbinado
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 heaping tablespoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 heaping tablespoon six pepper blend "Durkee"

I mustard slather the Shoulder before applying a serious coat of rub. I make a baste with leftover rub, apple juice, vineger,worcestershire, and oil that I simmer for a few minutes on the stove so the flavors meld. Every few hours I will spray the pork with it. Nothing fancy just tasty.
DP

It rained so heavy on my cook last night that the bottom of the WSM filled up with water, didn't effect the cooking though, the water has evaporated out of there now and everythig is fine.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bruce, I like the six pepper spice. I tried it on my last butts and it went well with the pork. Not too spicy, just gives it a nice burst of a different flavor. And for the price Sams sells it 'thats where I bought mine" I gave it a chance.
DP

Dale - Smithfield pork shoulders from Wally World are what I've been cooking (only two). I think they taste very good and you can't beat the price.

Yep, pulled pork for breakfast! I just had a pulled pork sandwich for breakfast with extra hot (D&D) Sriracha sauce.
icon_biggrin.gif

Richard

Speaking of breakfast, I am eating a sammich with a little bit of hot bone suckin sauce on it as I type. The pulled pork I cook just seems to get better & better. The Smithfield shoulder worked great, but it did have some waste to it. I could have let it go longer I guess, but at 200 degrees, I placed it in cooler a couple hours and just now pulled it. Is it me or does the pork taste the best while pulling? Sure seems like it.
DP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Batey:

Yep, pulled pork for breakfast! I just had a pulled pork sandwich for breakfast with extra hot (D&D) Sriracha sauce.
icon_biggrin.gif

Richard <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm starving now! And I love sriracha.
icon_razz.gif

At a competition in Seattle this past August we had a rain storm come through at 3am that dropped close to 4" of rains in under 2 hours. At 6:30 in the Jack Rogers notice the pit temp were down to 200 degrees. He stirred the ashes and heard a hissing sound. The bottom of the WSM was full of water, he pulled the cooking section off and drained the bottom (Bill's mod would have been a great thing). Adusted the fuel a little by adding some burning coals to get the pit temps back as quick as possible.
Took a second in brisket with that cooker. A WSM can take a lot of abuse weather wise and keep on keeping on.
Jim

I havent got 4 inches of rain in the last 2 months! Well, the pulled pork was all eaten, and there was only a couple rib tips left. We used Moonlite, Bone suckin, and Ditkas bbq sauce on the side. We also had chili, potato soup, fresh veggies and more...
Im still full.

What a game.
Miami-41
Louisville-38
icon_frown.gif

DP

Dale.

Isn't anything better than BBQ for breakfast. OK....I will admit to having a cold one at 7am with it on occasion....especially when I work my 2200-0600 shifts. I actually worked one where I put the Guru on it...set it up too cook last week, went to work, worked 2200-0600, got off work, came home, stirred the coals a bit, popped a cold one....butt finished up an hour later............mmmmmmmmm pork sandwich....some homefies.......dude...like was good ... well till I had to go to work later that night LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back