Quick question?

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
I'm preparing two standing rib roasts for tomorrow. A marinade I was thinking of using calls for lemon juice. It's from Raichlen's Sauces, Rubs & Marinades cookbook, "The only marinade you'll ever need" (pg. 54) How long should I marinade in such a solution? It's 4.5 lb roast. I plan on putting on the smoker around 10:00 am. Thanks for any info!

Rick

I don't usually go too long if using an acid like lemon juice, maybe an hour, unless it's a relatively small component of the marinade. E.g., I have a leg of lamb marinating now. The total amount of marinade is 2 c or so, the lemon comprises maybe 2 Tbls.

If your marinade calls for a substantial amount of juice you can make it without--or with only a small amount--then add the rest an hour or so before cooking, if you think it needs it (often it doesn't).

I knew I could count on you Kevin! I wish I would've asked sooner though. I actually had made the marinade up and the acid is was an afterthought. But at least not before I applied it to the roast. Whew! It says in the recipe to use within 1-2 hrs of making. So I guess I'm kinda screwed and will have to make a fresh batch.
Another question? Both of these rib roasts are about 4.5 lbs. Unfortunately, most of the guests are not med. rare folks. I plan on pulling them off at 140*, double wrapping in HD foil and towels, hot cooler for an hour and slice. I figure they'll continue to cook to a stage just above med. rare. I've heard cooking temps from 375* to 275* with the latter being preferred for a more even doneness throughout. Or so I've read. What is your opinion?
Funny you mention a leg of lamb. I darn near bought one of them instead but decided Easter dinner was not the time to experiment on folks. I had a hard time at the market today, everything was on sale! Whole or trimmed briskets, standing rib roast, leg of lamb, and spares. Decisions, decisions!
icon_biggrin.gif

Rick

I'm not sure I was as clear as I wanted to be re-reading my post. (It was a Chardonnay night.) If your marinade is heavy on the lemon juice cut it to a small quantity and marinate overnight if possible, or for 4 hours or so if not. You can add the rest of the lemon an hour before cooking--if you think it needs it. If the lemon is only a small component to begin with then you're good to go as is. Go overnight or 4 hours minimum if possible. (Careful on the salt quantity. The marinade should not taste excessively salty when you make it.)

To me 140 is already past med-rare if you're planning on resting, which of course you are. Yes, you will get more even cooking/doneness at a lower temp. (Those rare-to-the-edge beef roasts you see on carving tables are cooked at 200, tops.) But--on a higher cook temp you'll have more of a range of doneness, the ends of the roasts will be more done, the center the least. You could cook at a higher temp, pull one a given internal temp and the other at an internal 7-10 degrees higher. That should give you a good range. Remember, should you go the lower temp route (and it's certainly an option), you will not get as high a temp bounce when resting as you will for a higher temp cook. Just keep that in mind when figuring everything out.

You're right about the sales today. This is NOT a lamb area. Many people here have never eaten it. But not only was lamb (and near everything else) on sale, but there were no less than a dozen-18 lamb legs to choose from. I'm lucky to find a single leg normally. Hmmm--closet lamb eaters here maybe?
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again Kevin. The marinade calls for 1/4 cup of lemon juice and we made a double batch. So it has 1/2 cup of juice. To be on the safe side we're gonna pitch it and make up something else. I'm going with the herb crusted recipe on one of them for sure.
I think I will go for the higher temp cook. Sounds like I can be more flexible and have a wider variety of doneness. I agree with you 140* is too done and per your suggestion, I'm gonna pull one off a little sooner than the other. Why didn't I think of that?
icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess that's why I'm here!

Enjoy the rest of your night ... morning?

Right

if you plan on pulling at 140 and then resting for an hour or so...you are talking about "well done"

i did a 21 pound standing rib roast and i pulled it off when it was around 135 and let it sit for about an hour and a half.....it was almost all well done.....there was like one piece that i took that was med......i say pull it off 130 the latest

good luck

I agree, Mords. Having two roasts gives you some nice flexibility, Rick, which you can use to your advantage. The last one I did I pulled at 124, if I recall correctly. Had a good range of med-rare to rare, generally, with medium at the ends. Shape of the roast has bearing here. Longer, narrower roasts will be a bit more done than shorter, 'rounder' roasts cooked at the same temp.

Thanks for the help guys. I just wish I had listened. I ended up pulling them off at the 137* mark. Wrapped em, and took em to the in-laws (an hour drive). Once there I immediately got to slicing. Very juicy and very tasty. I used a lemon pepper mix, crushed pepper melange, and lots of garlic on one roast, I used the herb crusted recipe on the other. (sans rosemary .. I was out)
BUT .... you guys were right. I should've pulled them at closer to a 125* internal temp. While there was some med. rare meat, most was medium. It was delicious and everybody loved it, but I knew it could've been better. They, like most people that eat my creations, said I was being too hard on myself. Maybe I was, somebody has to be the critic. I'll know better next time. Cook and learn.

Here's some pics: http://community-2.webtv.net/rick-kramer/StandingRibRoast/

Kevin ... how'd that leg o' lamb come out?

Rick

Rick--
Nice pics. Roasts look tasty. And I particularly like the "Stupid hurts" note: been there!

As you say, cook and learn. My lamb was good but could have been better had I, too, gotten it off earlier and not rested it so long. I noted it here. Once I knew I was going to be delayed working on my truck I knew what my results would be. Should-a, could-a, would-a...there will be more lamb roasts. Guests loved it; a good thing.

Great pics Rick. I did a standing rib roast yesterday in the oven (Ugh). Pulled it at 130* and it was mostly med. when I cut it up 30 mins. later. Still moist and tender.

Back