Quick help with sausages

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Hey my WSM is at 225 for an hour and my sausages are already reading 151degrees. Is this possible. I was planning on 3hr smoke. I have water in the pan and used MM to start coals.

I like to smoke sausages at around 190 deg. This will allow them to take on smoke for 3 or four hours and it takes that long to get them to come up to 152 deg.

If they are fresh sausages (no cure) i like to grill them.

Hey Rick, I'd suggest you smoke them until you think they are done. Slice a bit off and check it out once in a while, but note your final internal temp reading for future reference.

Thanks.. since the post I have closed all the vents Iam holding at 222 right now and my sausage is at 156. Ill let it go to 160.

Thanks

Just curious Rick, did you put them on raw, or did you simmer them in a beer mixture for a short time first. I like seeing all the different ways people do things.
I do them both ways, but lean to the beer mixture to soften up the casing.
Be careful using the suggestion to slice off "test" sections to see if there done the way you want them. You may run out of sausage lol. I have had whole links vanish!
icon_wink.gif

Rick,
I just recently did sausages and was planning on a 2 hr cook. They got up to 150 in about 1-1/2 hours and let them go to 160 internal.

Nice smoke ring and they were a big hit.

Rath *abt next up*

If using fresh sausage, Brats in particular i always do the Beer, Butter, and Onion bath first. Then grill and return to said bath.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back