Quick Connect Fitting Lube?

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
I’m looking for a smarter, not harder solution here.

Whenever I come across grills with a quick connect fitting for the side burners, they’re almost impossible to slide the collar back and pop off.
They’re often plenty difficult to get back on and sealed shut too.

Don’t get me wrong, I always end up being able to do it, but at the expense of way more effort than I feel should be necessary.

Does anyone have any pro tips on what can be easily used to loosen these up back to their proper “easy to use” state?

Is WD-40 the ticket or is there any concern of that getting down into the gas line, etc.?

I would use a regular oil. Motor oil is what I use actually. The problem with products like WD-40 is that they don't last long. Barring taking valves apart and doing a full relube job, a little motor oil dripped down the stem into the housing does wonders too. Simple, cheap, readily available and effective. I actually put oil into a couple small squeeze bottles for this purpose.

Used motor oil is great for slowing rust on vehicles. It would work great inside of the tubing of these older grills where you can’t do any type of rust remediation. The fine metal particles in it help keep it in the porous areas where rust has begun and helps it repel moisture

I use fresh motor oil. I know it works well for rust proofing vehicle undercarriages, but for grill valves and quick connects, I don't see a benefit of used oil for that application.

Agreed! My brain just put together used oil with grills vs. vehicles. I wouldn’t use it (used oil) for penetrating oil. Especially for grill applications.

I used to have it in a spray bottle and shoot streams of it in thru the taillight openings on pickup trucks to treat the bed sides

Back