Quick Clay Pot Questions

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
So I have a 2009 WSM 18". I've always used water and want to try the clay pot.

1) Is it true a 14" pot will fit nicely in the water pan (2009)?
2) Do you foil both the pan and the pot or do you put the pot in the pan and foil overtop of both (with a slight depression to catch drippings I expect)?
3) If you foil overtop, do you worry about dripping overflow?

Thanks,

James

I use a 12.25" clay that fits about halfway in the 09 pan. I double foil the clay and double foil the top of the water pan with a 1.5" or so depression. Never had grease run over.

I use a 14" clay saucer from Home Depot. It fits perfectly on top of the water pan. I foil the bottom of the water pan and the top of the saucer. I kinda press the saucer down on top of the water pan to get a decent seal and haven't had an issue with grease getting into the water pan.

I use a 14 inch saucer and I like how it sits on top of the water pan. It will catch all the drippings and if you give yourself a little extra foil you can make sure the foil over laps the seam between the saucer and the water pan. This will help prevent grease from sneaking into the bottom of your water pan and going mouldy when you don't notice it.

Oh... and just an addendum. No I have never had overflow issues with grease. I have cooked 25 lbs of pork butt at once and it didn't even come close.
The only thing I will say is this.... if doing high heat cooks you have to watch if the flames get roaring beneath. I have had the drippings ignite in pan when I left the lid off too long. In that case, tossing the lid on choked everything out smartly.

Back