Questions w/ First Time Smoking Two Briskets??

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I’m planning on an overnight cook of two 10 lb briskets using the minion method…

What’s the best way to deal with the temp differences, should I swap low and high racks half way through?

How much extra time should I allot?

Any other tips?

Also, does anyone use the foil tub/dishes?

Thanks a million….

I wouldn't allot any appreciable extra time, Matt. It might take a bit more to get up to cooking temp but that'll be it. Nor would I bother rotating unless you see a marked difference in internals--but I'd go 6-7 hours before checking that. If choosing to use foil during the cook (if that's what you're asking about) I'd recommend HD foil rather than aluminum pans.

I smoked two brisket flats (6lbs. eac.) two weeks ago. I took the upper flat off about 45 minutes ahead of the lower -- that was after 9 hours, right on the 1.5 hours-per-pound guideline.

However, I foil wrapped the upped flat about halfway through. It may have accelerated the cooking time. I couldn't taste the difference, but I think the foil helped keep the meat moist.

I cooked both to an internal temp of about 195. I think next time I'll pull them at 190. The taste was awesome, but they pulled apart a bit too easy.

I find the minion method to be pretty reliable for overnight, with the temp remaining stable for a good 8-9 hours.

Brisket is becoming one of our faves. Good luck and good eatin'.

Jeff

Back