Questions regarding the minion method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy W

TVWBB Member
I have some questions concerning the minions method that hopefully someone can shed some light on for me. I have a ots and have not done any cooks longer then 2 hours. This weekend however I wad thinking about doing a Boston butt for pulled pork and wanted to use the ots for it. I realize it will take 6 or so hours and wanted to know what I should expect if using the minion method. How much unit charcoal should I out in and how much liy on top of that to maintain the 225 to 250 temp? How much time should I expect to get out of it?
If I would happen to need to add more charcoal, I would assume I could put unlit on top, but how long would it take before that gets going to keep the temp up?

Thanks for the advice.

That post is a good place to start.

I have found, using firebricks, that the kettles eat about 8 coals an hour. I usually start with about 50-60 unlit coals with wood mixed in behind the bricks and then put 8 lit coals all together on one side of the pile. The lit will burn down into the pile, and then move their way across. On the kettle a metal skewer, or some type of poking device, is a must for stirring the coals to get the ash to drop so you can sweep it. If you seem to be getting close to running out of fuel you can simply put more unlit next to the last of your lit and the fire should work it's way back across.

Personally, I'd be more worried about hitting the right temp on the butt though. You'll probably have to foil in order to get er done in 6 hours.

Thanks for the help.
Do you know the approximate time it takes for the unlit charcoal to light if I had to add more. I want to mId sure if that I give myself ample time to get it going. If I see the temp going down how long should I plan ahead to get the unlit going.

It's probably easiest to eyeball the amount of coals left as you progress, but I can get 6 hours easy out of the method I described above. Try to add more unlit BEFORE the temp starts dropping if you can...just don't add it all right on top of the section that is still lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back