Questions on smoking blufish.

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Accidently put this in the other forum, so I am reposting here>
/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif Just cought some blufish so I filleted them (but did not skin them). Was wondering:
1. If you smoke the fish, do you have to skin them (ie scales are still on. Seems to me someone said if you smoke fish, you do not have to scale them as the fish peals right away from the skin.
2. How long do you cook them and at what temp?
3. I did some searches on brining but if someone has a quick brine or method, I would appreciate it.
I did a search on bluefish, and only found 1 thread, so I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them.
Oh, and this time, I will not play golf and will be sittint right by the Bullet door, just daring it to fall off again.

--------------------
Robert P Wagner

Leave the skin on them. Try mayonase & dill weed rub, it will not look good, but try it on a little you may be surprised.

Here is the brine that I use for fish when I smoke.

Brine
1 gallon water
1 1/2 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup lemon
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp allspice
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp black pepper

Sprinkle extra black pepper and thyme over the top and set to dry.

Depending on how big and thick your bluefish pieces are I would say that if you have 1/2 pound chunks you should brine for 1 hour.
Bigger than that and go longer up to 3hours if you have very thick pieces.

Make sure you let it set to dry thoroughly. I prop some racks up on cans and have a fan going.

Then smoke them WITHOUT water in the pan.

Smoke them at 190 degrees.

1/2 lb. chunks for 1 1/2 hour

1 lb chunks for 2 hours

2 lb chunks for 2 1/2hours

Any other questons let me know.

That is my favorite way to eat bluefish

I've never smoked bluefish myself. Years ago my father did though. It is likely he put absolutely nothing on it and just smoked it. It was the best stuff you have ever eaten. When we were sick of eating it for dinner, we started eating it as an appetizer on crackers. It was wonderful! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

-Matt

Great response.... thanks a lot and I am going to do it /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back