Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm thinking about getting a WSM for those all night cooks. Pork butts and Brisket. Just went and looked at one at a store(189.00) and I thought the door on the side where you add more fuel and water looked a little flimsy. Not a good seal and well it looked like heat and smoke would escape out the door. Is this normal?

Also, will a 12lb brisket fit on the smoker. I was a little surprised at how small the grill area looked?

So I gather the heat and smoke loss isn't an issue then, since all I hear and read is how well the WSMs hold heat and a steady temp for long periods of time

No, it's not an issue William. You may have a wisp of smoke escaping the door area now and then, but it's fine. And some doors may need an initial adjustment for a better fit.

Welcome to TVWBB. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Thanks Rob. Think I'll pickup a WSM Monday afternoon and start practicing on it tomorrow night. Playing with the fire and temp adjustment. Want to get familiar with it before I throw any butts or briskets on .. Any suggestions anyone???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William Robicheaux:
[qb] Also, will a 12lb brisket fit on the smoker. I was a little surprised at how small the grill area looked? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just wedge it between the handles if you have to-- it will shrink as it cooks.

I haven't done the Mr. Brown recipe on the Butts yet. I was in a hurry to prep so I did the mustard/dry rub recipe on the cooking section and then cooked two butts (13.68 lbs. combined) for 16 hours at na average temp. of 235*. It was great! Only one person said he could taste a slight hint of the mustard and the rest couldn't.

Haven't tries brisket yet, but did do a Tri-Tip which I guess is sorta like a "Mini Me" version of brisket. Anyway, it wasn't bad, but as most have said, it tastes better using indirect heat in the Kettle. Just my opinion. Good Luck!

Keep on Smokin!

DWL

Hello William,

The WSM cooks great even with the funky looking door. I covered the Cooking/ Recipes on this site first and then did my first brisket on the bottom rack and pork butt on top. Cooked them to 190 deg and they were great.

You will love the WSM.

Pork Eat World
Sonny

Thanks Sonny! Looking foward to it. Another couple questions for anyone. How often do you need to fill the water bowl in a typical cook. Also I've noticed a lot of talk about sand in the water bowl. What kind of sand? Lots of mud where I live, but not much sand. I guess maybe a greenhouse might sell some

Hey William,

You from LA. You know Lower Alabama or Lousianna?

I haven't tried sand yet, but really thinking about it. Thought about buying that sand for kid sandboxes, but don't know for sure if that is best.

I have the larger water pan in my WSM. It holds water all night until I refill it half way up the next morning.

I think that larger water pan is a brinkman charcoal pan I got at Academy.

Pork Eat World

Any kind of sand will work as long as it is inert under the temps in the WMS. All you are looking for is mass. You could even use crushed limestone ("base stone"), or pea gravel, or busted up bricks, or....... just make sure the natural material doesn't contain a lot of sulfide minerals-not healthy to breath when they begin to volitilize.

Silica sand (SO2)is a rarity on the Gulf Coast, but the "sand" composed of calcite (CaCO3) is OK even if it is "shell" material.

I use silca sand that is used as filter sand in water wells. If you know a driller or environmental company, have them get you a bag.

I have been using sandbox sand for the last 1 1/2 yrs. It is readily available at most lumber stores...Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, etc...and the cost is under $3.00/bag. 1 bag will last over a year...I have 2 WSM's and have only used 1 bag in the last year.

Just remember to put aluminum foil over the sand so that you can reuse it. I use plain old play sand in a bag from Home Depot.

Ed

Yep Sonny, I'm in Louisiana :&gt/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Hey everyone, thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back