Question: Ribs & Clay pot

Tom P

TVWBB Fan
I'm doing 6 racks BB's this Saturday. The most I have done is 3 w/ water @ about 225 deg using the 3-2-1 method.

I've been reading about the clay pot here. Will this change my approach (higher temps , shorter time) or do as I always have

Also, I use the Weber rib rack, can I put all 6 on top grate or should I go 3 & 3 w/ another rack?

I know my guest will prefer "fall off the bone ribs" rather then those with some chew. Can I acheive that w/ more foil time? And how long can I hold in foil afterwards b4 throwing them on grill w/ sauce.

I know, a lot of questions and normaly I have time to experiment.

Thanks for all your help!

Tom

Ideally you should still run the same temps with the clay base vs water. Running the clay pot requires less fuel to get the smoker up to temp and makes it more sensitive adjustments. You'll need to practice a little keeping it under control.

Wrap the clay pot in foil and sit it inside of your empty water pan. Adjust your temps on the way up and you will be fine. Cook and foil them as you always do and you will achieve fall off the bone if you like.
I'm using Kingsford with chunks of my favorite smoke wood added in.

Oops, I would go 3 top and 3 on the bottom. Leaving in foil on the cooker for too long will make them mushy in my opinion. I'm more of a 3-1-1 kinda rib cooker but I cook at around 245*.
If your trying to precook before your guest arrive and leave them in foil, I would probably cook for about 1hr in foil and take them off. When ready to finish or sauce you could use a gasser if you wanted for quicker heat or use the WSM. Hope this helps.

Back