Question Regarding Beef cut for Chili

Ed Dekleva

Greetings, everyone... I'm looking for a bit of advice and thought that the team of experts (or newbies) here could help...

For the past few years, my workplace has had a chili cookoff in mid/late October. I competed last year for the first time, and did ok. Actually, it wasn't horrible. I placed 6th out of about 40.

I love barbeque and I love chili, so I had a thought.
icon_biggrin.gif
Why not combine the two??

My chili recipe uses beef "stew meat". I add most of the ingredients, then simmer until it falls apart. It tastes pretty good with just plain stew meat, but I'm looking for a bit more.

I've been really happy with my current brisket recipe and prep method, but I'm not sure that brisket is the proper cut for this use. I've considered using a chuck or arm roast with the same rub/mop, but I've never heard of it being used much in BBQ.

I'm planning to cook the meat in advance, then vacuum seal and freeze (if necessary). I'd cube it, then add it to the simmering pot during the chili preparation. Since it's pre-cooked, I'd likely wait until the other ingredients have cooked for awhile before adding the meat.

So... long story short... (yes, too late for that)... any suggestions on how to merge barbequing with chili?

Ed, I like to use the point of a smoked brisket in addition to other beef. Stew beef usually makes up most of the meat but I have used sirloin with very good results. The extra fat in both the point and the sirloin seems to work well in chili. The flavor seems to reside in fat. Another tip is to use some smoked chili peppers.

If it's a CASI or ICS sanctioned event, you'll probably do better by leaving the BBQ out of the chili.

The cut of choice is Chuck Tender Roast. IMPS/NAMP 116B. Very lean, flavorfull, with just one line of gristle you'll need to trim around. It'll give you the nice little lean cubes.
Other Common Names For This Cut: Chuck Eye, Chuck Filet, Medallion Pot Roast, Scotch Tender

http://www.txbeef.org/cuts_detail.php3?this_section=Chu...ail_page=Mock+Tender

Here's a batch I made.
http://www.mfbb.net/chiliforum/viewtopic.php?t=223&mforum=chiliforum

Thanks for the replies, everyone. This isn't a sanctioned event, but it is fairly competitive (all in good fun, of course).

Some great ideas... mmmmm... is it time to eat yet??

Ed; when I have tried this I have used round steak
Q'd and cubed and or sirloin butt steak grilled with mesquite and cubed. It makes the chili taste just a little smoky. I have also tried a home made
smoked bbq sauce mixed in with my regular chili sauce. It tatses more flavorful than just the smoke meat mixed in to me.

It just so happens that chili is one of my favorite foods. It takes a close second to whatever I am smoking at the time.
icon_biggrin.gif
I have used chuck roast, brisket, and chuck roll to make chili. I made a pot of chili wednesday out of some leftover chuck roll. It was good but I believe that brisket is the ultimate in chili. I usually use most if not all of the point and some of the flat to get the amount of meat I want in the chili. I haven't tried any other cuts so I can't comment on that. For me if I was in a contest I would go for the brisket. The other cuts are great compared to hamburger which I also like but brisket gets my vote.

This is another endorsement for brisket in chili. I think it is an excellent chili meat.

Griff

Back