Question on Temperature

Mark Goldstein

TVWBB Member
I've been browsing the site in anticipation of my WSM arriving soon and I notice that a lot of times people will say they cooked at such-and-such a temperature or that the smoker was holding at a particular temperature. In most cases there's no indication if the temperature reading is being made at the grid, the lid, or somewhere else.

Assuming I'm going to use a thermometer inserted thru the top vent, at least to start, do I use that reading or do I assume that the reading at the lid should be 15 or so degrees hotter than I want to actually cook at?

I hope I was clear enough as to what I'm asking. It's clear in my head, but not necessarily so in type.
icon_smile.gif

Maybe we don't do that good of a job at posting the difference, and we should. My readings are taken at the top grate. I would say if you keep the lid at 15 above your temps, your in good shape.
There was a thread a while back about what temps people liked to smoke at, I'll see if I can dig it up, but I shoot for around 225-235 at the grate.
My last smoke of a picnic, I got it on later than I had wanted. I smoked it at 250-260 at the grate, and it came out just as good as any other I have done. Maybe I will do Picnics at that temp more often to cut back on cooking time.

Hi Mark,

Your assumption concerning the lid being 10°- 15° higher than the temp at the grate is correct.

Some folks take the temp at the lid, others at the grate take the reading at the grate. It realy doesn't matter much where you take the temp as long as your therm is accurate.

"Low and slow cooking" has a pretty wide range say 200° to 275°. I usually cook everything at 235° and have had pretty good results.

Al

Yo Mark!

Here's a great spot for figgering out temp differences around the ole WSM: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/temptest.html

It only takes a couple a engineering degrees and an hour or two, but it's all there!
icon_wink.gif

IL'm still new at all this, but I'm suspicous about this low and slow stuff, partly because of my nature and because of entries in books I'm reading about folks cooking at higher temps, and personal experience with my cooker an a friend's big green egg that likes to cook way hotter than I usually do.

All that being said, my WSM is more comfortable cooking around 250F at the top grill so I usually let it do it. Works great there.

Loren

Mark,

While the lid temp will give you a clue to the range of temps that the top grate is in, it won't tell you the temp on the top grate. I always want to know the temp on the grate where the meat is.

Do your self a favor, get enough thermometers to monitor the lid, top grate, meat, and bottom grate. Some may think this is overkill, and it is, but do it to learn your cooker. Eventually, you'll be down to one thermometer and you'll know exactly where your at by looking at one.

I'd echo Bruce's comment on thermoverkill. I use a bi-metal dial candy in the top vent, a Maverick ET-73 for the pit/meat temp on the top grate and an old Polder for the bottom grate temp.

I've run out of battery juice before and was thankful I had the lid thermometer and had become familiar with associating lid temp to pit temps.

"My last smoke of a picnic, I got it on later than I had wanted. I smoked it at 250-260 at the grate, and it came out just as good as any other I have done. Maybe I will do Picnics at that temp more often to cut back on cooking time."

Bob I am curious how much time you figured you cut off? Was watching Boiling Water on the foodnetwork channel and he did a butt in the oven 350 in 6 hours. Looked liked it was done low and slow. Just curious is all.

I also recently purchased a Dual Sensor Thermometer/Timer. Its a poulder and I am hoping to try it out this weekend. Gives internal temp and outside temp. Thinking I spent like $35 dollars over the internet for it.

Gary,
I went back and checked my cook logs. I should have done that before. It was one of my quicker cooks, but I have had others done almost as quick. I almost always get 10-11 pound Picnics to cook, and the time it took varied by 4 hours in the logs. Another ringer to toss onto it is some were injected, some were not. The injected ones seem to get done faster also when done at my normal 230 degree area vs. the non injected. Yes, I love the results of injecting.
Just what I need, a REASON to do a lot of picnics over the next few weeks to answer your question lol.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I measure at the lid cause I always have. I cook from 225 to 275 degrees based on what I'm cooking and the desidered effect I'm looking for.

BBQ is about cooking in a range of pit temps and when you do it.
Jim

Thanks for your reply Bob. I will be doing my first butts this weekend for my sons graduation party. So it was of great help. I use Smokey Mountain Big Block Propane smoker so I been waiting for awhile to get off my duff and try this. So my son has forced my hand who will be attending culinary arts school this fall. I hope to have pictures for yas from step 1 to finish product.

As for injecting the winner of Memphis in May for whole pork shoulder was an injector and it seemed everyone who competed in the whole hog and shoulder also injected.

Back