Question on storage Performer Platinum

Matt I

TVWBB Member
Alright folks have a question on storage. Picked up a Performer Platinum, between cooks should I leave the vents open or closed? I have a WSM22 and dump the coals after every smoke, then leave the vents open for storage and put the cover on as I leave outside, on the performer I always have coals left over to use again. Soould I leave the vents closed for a day or so then open? Or just leave the vents closed when not in use? Also am I throwing $$ down the drain dumping my smoker to keep the vents open I between cooks. I thought I read somewhere to keep all the vents open when not in use. But as I am fairly new to the world of charcoal any help would be appreciated. I am frying to make sure I do what is needed so these things will last for a long time.

Thanks in advance.

My $.02 would be to leave the vents closed on the Performer or any kettle after shutting it down following a cook. I also reuse whatever leftover charcoal there is. Keeping the vents closed keeps moisture out and the remaining charcoal in better condition. I also cover my Performer and another Weber Kettle. I also have a 22.5 WSM which I clean the charcoal bowl after each cook; I also keep that covered and the vents closed when stored.

I also shut the vents to save the coals after used. Once everything is definitely out, most times the next morning, I use some old tongs and a small garden spade and place the used charcoal in a plastic colandar and shake the ash from the coals. I then clean the rest of the ash and small coals that are too small to reuse and sweep it through the vents into the ash can. I have a small wisk broom that I use to get the fine powder. I normally try to clean out the ash can everytime, but if there is only a small amount of ash, in particular after using lump, and I am going to cook again for sure in the next day or so, I wil leave them in the can in the Performer and 22.5 OTG. Can't do it with the 18.5 because the ash container is too small for multiple cooks. I put the used coals still in the colander on top of the charcoal grate for storage. The cooking grate fits over the top of it without a problem. I then open all the vents and then put the cover back over it like I do my WSM.

" I thought I read somewhere to keep all the vents open when not in use."
Yea, some WSM owners do that with the cover on. Usually they live in a humid location and that supposedly helps mold from sprouting.
Not needed on a kettle unless you do a long term storage.

Tim

I try to reopen the bottom vents next day after a cook or as soon as I know the coals are dead, and I don't like to leave leftover briquettes and all their ash on the grates since it attracts a lot of moisture. Since I'm leaving the bottom vents open to keep humidity down and prevent mold growth, I figure it makes just as much sense to leave bottom vents open if I have any lump left on the grate.

Back