Question on old style x000 burners

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
Sorry for the long text. I am working on this Skyline and wanted to reuse the old style burners which were still in great shape. And these burners are still made of non magnetic SS. By old style I am meaning the center burner with rows of holes on both sides.
But I was always getting massive yellow flames on the center burner only. The other two were fine. I cleaned the valve again. I removed the plastic spider guard. I changed setting of the air intake. No changes. Flickering flames with lots of yellow no matter what i tuned. I even put in an NG orifice to see if that would do anything. Just more flickering yellow flames and higher. I finally decided to replace all burners with a brand new set I had sitting around where the center burner now only has one line of holes at the top. And all is good now. All three burners running fine. Yes I had swapped the manifold from another 1000. But I still don’t understand why the double sided center burner would not work. Did Weber use different manifolds on the x000 series?

Not sure why but that style burner in my experience has always had a different flame pattern than the other 2. It honestly never bothered me and when I switched it to the new top ported burner the issue went away. I honestly don't see any real change in performance other than a slight improvement overall in consistency

I have never really noticed a problem going from one style to the other. I would assume the additional outlet holes could be the issue, but then maybe the tubes have half as many holes on each side or maybe the holes are a bit smaller than tubes with one row of holes. I haven't really taken the time to compare before.

I have never really noticed a problem going from one style to the other. I would assume the additional outlet holes could be the issue, but then maybe the tubes have half as many holes on each side or maybe the holes are a bit smaller than tubes with one row of holes. I haven't really taken the time to compare before.

below are the new burners that just arrived along side some older what appear to be original style burners with the rectangular slots.

The first pic is the center burner, and the burner was set so the end piece around the crossover tube was vertical with two rows on either side.

The new ( non weber branded burner ) has a single row, and the row goes farther to the right hand side.

I'll take another pic when I install them because these are not very good.

20211005_122454.jpg

These are the two front burners, and the new one has the lighting row back a little.

20211005_122512.jpg

the new ones are these burners.

Last edited:
Yes. But flame pattern and especially performance are just as good. The do look different.

Thanks Bruce.

I found this post with the search ( shocking I was able to find it ) and had the same question if the single burner for the center is the same or better or worse than the center with two rows, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics before these get dirty.

I'm thinking the new ones will as good or maybe better since the center burner flame will be centered underneath the flav bar, yet in reality I probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Back