Question on conversion from natural gas to propane

Rick-NH

Found a great deal on Marketplace for a brand new E-335 for $375. It was advertised as propane but when I got it home I realized it’s Natural Gas. That’s my bad for not checking when I picked it up. Figured still worth it as I could convert it to propane.

It went together great and I ordered the conversion kit online. Recently received it and changed out the orifices and gas line which I thought went well. But now when I cook on it I can’t keep the temp below 400 degrees and that’s with one burner off and the other two very low. I adjusted the burner air shutters to the smallest setting but no luck.

Could I have a leak? And would I be better off replacing the entire manifold?

Appreciate all feedback.

Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• B0096631-02B5-4310-AE8D-AFE222E620E1.png
    B0096631-02B5-4310-AE8D-AFE222E620E1.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 8
  • AA28EF46-339F-41D8-AE83-9E6D9334D606.png
    AA28EF46-339F-41D8-AE83-9E6D9334D606.png
    185 KB · Views: 8
  • 4F1A1051-8DCB-4C16-A0FF-0D9D037A93C9.jpeg
    4F1A1051-8DCB-4C16-A0FF-0D9D037A93C9.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 8
Welcome Rick,

I'm suspecting that on your grill the valves are different for NG vs LP. Replacing the manifold would be the best way to handle this.

There is possibly a chance the burners are different as the replacement parts for the Genesis II list different parts for LP and NG.

I'm not sure why the burners would be different, but they are different part numbers.

I'll second that yes, you should probably replace the manifold. You are getting too much propane even on low. It's 99% the valves in the manifold, so replace the manifold and keep the NG stuff just in case or when you get rid of the grill.

I guess I should add this for full transparency, I did a NG to LP swap on my 2016 E330 with just orifices. I'd read about replacing the manifold yet at the time in the middle of covid, I could not find one anywhere except eBay for about $200 plus shipping.

I changed Orifices, and my E330 seems to run a little hot when on low, but I'm OK with it and in fact I like the heat and the heat of the middle, sear and outer combined are fabulous for direct searing type cooks.

For me, unless I find an LP manifold in a donor for very cheap I'm good with mine as it is.

You might want to cook on it and see how it goes. A manifold and a set of burners is probably close to or over $200

Unfortunately, we have seen this exact problem here many times. Sometimes it's just not as simple as changing out the orifices, you probably need the correct manifold for it to work properly.

Unfortunately, we have seen this exact problem here many times. Sometimes it's just not as simple as changing out the orifices, you probably need the correct manifold for it to work properly.
The issue is that some valves don't need to be changed if they are "continuously variable" and others, like when they have "low medium high" are specific for gas type. Weber never really standardized the valves in their grills, so the best advice and the way to know you are safe is to swap out the manifold.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I’ll be getting a new manifold. If I can find one around $200 I’ll only be out about $650 so still a good deal.

Yes change the entire manifold use an OEM regulator. Beware aftermarket ones are sometimes too high pressure many marked as 1 psi which is really about 65% MORE pressure than the grill should have. Spec is 11" WC

Yes change the entire manifold use an OEM regulator. Beware aftermarket ones are sometimes too high pressure many marked as 1 psi which is really about 65% MORE pressure than the grill should have. Spec is 11" WC
Thanks. Is there a way for me to know if the regulator I got meets that spec? It says Type 698 on it. Also doesn’t look like Weber sells the manifold replacement so am I safe to buy that aftermarket? And if so any suggested sites?

Thanks. Is there a way for me to know if the regulator I got meets that spec? It says Type 698 on it. Also doesn’t look like Weber sells the manifold replacement so am I safe to buy that aftermarket? And if so any suggested sites?

There has been a fair amount of discussion on regulators, and it is likely to get rehashed again. I've had no issues with non-weber branded regulators.

Where did you buy your conversion? Can you post a link or pic of the regulator?

I "think" the correct part number for the manifold is 67459. The one below is out of stock.

If you find one in stock, maybe ask if others have used that vendor before. I checked a couple of places I've ordered from before and they don't list it, or list it incorrectly or show it is out of stock. When I say list incorrectly, a search of their site for 67459 returns a manifold for an earlier model.

I bought a kit for my 330 over a year ago from them. I think the regulator is fine.

What temp does yours run with the two outer burners on low, center and sear off?

My 330 is similar temps.

I'll test my friends E310 that is an original LP next time I'm over. The front control 300s run hotter, but I don't know how much.

For all those who come after, read this How To first:

Conversion kits can be a huge waste of time and effort unless you are really a gas expert. Replacing the entire manifold and getting a new regulator is the way to go from NG to propane.

And remember, Weber does not want you doing this. You do it at your own risk!

Back