Question from a rank beginner

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Here in central KY, some grocery stores thick slice pork butt 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. They call them "country ribs".
smile.gif
I've grilled these with great success. What about Q'ing them on the WSM? Anybody done this? If so, how'd you do it?
Thanks,

I just got my WSM but have Qd country ribs on my kettle.

Didn't like my results. They didn't have enough fat to keep the meat moist for real Q distances.

Me, I'd rather marinate them and carefully grill them. If I want a dash of smoke too, I'd just throw a handful of soaked chips on the fire when they're half-done and close the lid.

Good Morning Johnny:
Given the lower price per pound especially for group BBQ'ing, I smoke "country ribs" a lot and generally with rave reviews. As you probably know, most folks actually think these are ribs and prefer them over their more expensive kin because they're larger. When I prepare them, I mostly use either Paul Kirk's or John Willingham's basic rub applied just before smoking and then work really hard at keeping the WSM temps down (225-250) so that I get at least a 4 hour+ smoke. In the past , I have marinated them over night but found no materially tangible difference in taste, preparation time, nor quality of product. Best of all, you get kudos since you're more uninformed guests think you have really splurged for them!
?.John

Pork country style ribs are pork butt cut into 1 1/2 to 2" slices and can be cook as such, much shorter times of course.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back