Question for the experts about ignitor replacement for summit

David Henderson

I will be replacing the cookbox of my nine year old summit, due to holes in the cook box. Fortunatly this was under warranty. My wife asked me to ask about replacing the igntors while I have the grill apart. I am informed the only way to replace the ignitors is to replace the entire manifold, including valves, etc. This part is pricy (220 bucks - i am in Canada). I'm wondering if the experts here have some alternate suggestions. There is no "easy" way to put a flame from a lighter or match in there.

Thanks

I think you have a Summit that has the ignition switch integrated into the valve assembly.

See if you have ignition connections on the valve assembly. If so, you may be able to replace the igniter on the burners only

Pictures and the model number would help

Thanks for the reply. The part number of the manifold is 79173. A photo is below. Each ignitor sits at the tip of each thingy that lives inside the burner tubes, and is controlled by turning the dial clockwise. I can't show u a photo of the current one, but when i looked at it last year, when I had the tubes out some of the tips were corroded etc.

1646676113118.png

Thanks for the reply. The part number of the manifold is 79173. A photo is below. Each ignitor sits at the tip of each thingy that lives inside the burner tubes, and is controlled by turning the dial clockwise. I can't show u a photo of the current one, but when i looked at it last year, when I had the tubes out some of the tips were corroded etc.

View attachment 46748
Thanks for the picture. A modification is possible but all the hacking might not be worth the $220.00. I was thinking 1 or 2 of these sets might be able to be fitted in if you are feeling brave.

Check with Weber to see if you can get individual valve assemblies to possibly save some dough.

View attachment 46748
Thanks for the picture. A modification is possible but all the hacking might not be worth the $220.00. I was thinking 1 or 2 of these sets might be able to be fitted in if you a feeling brave.

Check with Weber to see if you can get individual valve assemblies to possibly save some dough.

Thanks for the opinions. I have decided just to order the entire assembly, and hope with a new cookbox the grill lasts another 7 or more years. As long as just a single ignitor operates, that is sufficent to light them all, and and turn off any that i don't want on. I understand they don't sell individual value assemblies.

Thanks for the opinions. I have decided just to order the entire assembly, and hope with a new cookbox the grill lasts another 7 or more years. As long as just a single ignitor operates, that is sufficent to light them all, and and turn off any that i don't want on. I understand they don't sell individual value assembliesc

Back