Question for "Sand in the Pan" users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm just curious, but do you leave the sand in the pan all the time or do you dump it into a suitable recepticle and reuse it each time. My thought/concern is that the weight of the sand in the pan might cause the brackets inside the WSM to bend/fail over time if the pan were stored full of sand in the WSM and would contribute to rust of the water/sand pan if the sand ever gets moisture in it. Just musing.

I leave the sand in all the time.

I started using sand about 3 months ago and the only time I have changed it was when I had grease leak through a hole in the foil. I have seen no signs of the the brackets bending. The brackets are made out of steel so they should last a life time.

The water pan is coated with porcelain so there should be no problem with rust unless you get a chip in it.

rj

I'm with Randy. I haven't replaced my sand at all.

If you spill grease in it, it will harden and you can scoop out these hard chunks and replace with new sand. I have done that a few times, but the chunks were pretty small.

Question on the sand. I used beach sand (not perfectly clean). I will try to filter as much out as possible, but was wondering if the sand you can buy at stores (home depot?) might be better.

I am a confirmed sandman now. I have sand in all four WSM's. Have not had to change the sand yet but my foil has remained intact. I have purchased the sand from Home Depot but would use other if it was available. Don't want to drive the eighty miles to the beach here in Oregon to get a bucket of the stuff. Have not seen any problem with pan or the brackets. We will probably burn up the pans from the fire below before having a problem with the sand. I usually keep a couple of pans in inventory anyway, they are only eight bucks or so apiece.

For you sand people, is the capacity of the Brinkpan pan needed? Or could I just use my old stock water pan for sand, and reserve the larger pan for the times when I want to use water?

Steve,

From what I've read, most people on this forum have upgraded to the Brinkman pan. However, I've also read where people use sand in the stock waterpan and done just fine. So whatever works for you.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Use stock pan for sand and brinkman for water cooks, and yes I still use water for some cooks.
Jim

I prefer using water when doing brisket and ribs, I use sand for all poultry and pork butt.
This is a preference, I look for difference in bark on different meats and I believe a wet or dry cooks helps me achieve this.
Jim

Does anyone know a link and part number I can use for the Brinkman pan? I am going to follow Jim's advise and use the Brinkman Water Method for Briskets and ribs while switching to the Weber Sand method for everything else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Wagner:
[qb]Does anyone know a link and part number I can use for the Brinkman pan? I am going to follow Jim's advise and use the Brinkman Water Method for Briskets and ribs while switching to the Weber Sand method for everything else.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Robert,

Just got one today. Here's the link:

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/BBQ-Accessories.html

Item #812-0002-0

Price is 9.99. This place is fast and I got it in 4 days after ordering online. Make sure you don't do what I did the first time and order the water pan....it doesn't work. Order the CHARCOAL pan.

Bill

I filled my pan about 3/4 full with sand.

-Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
[qb]How much sand do you put into the pan, whether it is the original WSM or the Brinkmann pan?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been to long since I visited this board. been missing out on the sand trick. Will have to give it a try. Did some butterball chicken breast the other day without any water pan while trying the cherry hot wing recipe. Turned out great. Gave one to a guy at work last night. He could not believe how moist they where even after re-heating in the microwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back