Question for lump users

Kirk Boorman

TVWBB Super Fan
I need to do a 9 hour cook using Royal Oak lump. The twist is that I need to keep temps between 300 and 325. Can it be done without refueling? How would you go about it? I was thinking Minion method with no water in the pan and lighting it up with some Kingsford briquettes. If I go this route, how much Kingsford should I use to start and at what temp do you think I should close down the bottom vents? Thanks all!

I don't have a lot of experience with Royal Oak, but I really think you'll have to refuel at least once if you are going to keep it at 300+ degrees for 9 hours. I find Royal oak needs a refuel at about 11-12 hours for a 225 degree cook.

As for how many briquettes to start with - I'd start with 1/2+ of a chimney, if you want it to get to 300 quickly.

I wouldn't start to close down the vents until you get to 315 or so. With all the vents open, it will eventually even out to 350-ish anyhow, so you won't need to do too much to keep it at 325-ish.

anyhow, just a few cursory thoughts...

Originally posted by craig castille:
What meat are you cooking?
This is a practice cook for a small local competition. They're only giving us 8 hrs to cook pork butts, so I'm doing a few 5 lb'ers that I'm going to inject heavily, then foil after a few hours until done. If I can't keep the temp above 300, I don't know how we're going to get them done in time.

Adam, thanks for the input. I'm going to get as much lump in there as I can, dump in some coals that are really burning and hope for the best.

With no water in the pan you should have no trouble at all keeping the temps above 300. I've done several turkeys with Royal Oak Lump and no water in the pan. I can keep the temps at a steady 350 for 4+ hrs. Never tried to go to 8 or 9 hrs, you may need to add fuel but you should be able to easily keep the temps up.

I agree with Adam. No matter how much I arrange the lump in the ring I only get around 12 hours without adding more. Actually I start adding around 10 hours. I only like to add a handful or 2 at a time.

I always thought it would burn longer than kingsford and I don't start adding to it til around 12 hours. I had a long burn going the first time I used RO lump and when I went out to check it around 11 hours in I about had a heart attack. There wasn't enough to light what I would have thrown on. I quickly started another chimney.

Royal Oak doesn't have real good density. 12 hours is all I expect from a full ring.

Other brands can go much longer (wicked Good 20 hours, B and B 16 hours).

Refueling is no big deal. It doesn't require much to keep it going.

Have you considered cutting the butts down to 3-4 lb pieces? You'll get more bark per lb, and if you're willing to foil anyway, you could easily complete the cook at 235? in the 8 hr timeframe. No refueling would be required.

Just a thought.

A very full packed ring of RO lump with the WSM smoking at 235 i get 16-18 hrs out of it using the Guru which is about 9 lbs of lump. My guess is a very full packed mounded high ring of RO you could possibly get it done without refueling. But if not what's the big deal with adding some lump during the cook? Takes about 10-15 seconds to add it. Get yourself one of them there refridgerator 12 pack soda cardboard things (Coke) and your good to go. Open the access door and dump it in.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

As always, thank you gentlemen for your responses. I'm really not that worried about refueling, I was just wondering if it would be necessary. This will be our first competition and I figure the simpler the better, you know?
Kevin, I did think about cutting the butts down some (the rules do allow this) and cooking them at about 250, but then I started making a comparison between them and chuck roasts. Brisket or chuck roll takes 1 - 1.5 hrs / lb whereas little 3.5 lb chuck roasts take 3 hrs / lb. The cooking time becomes dictated not by the size of the cut, but the time necessary to break down the connective tissues so the meat can be pulled. I was wondering if this would be the case with such a small piece of butt as well. As for the more bark / lb with the smaller cuts, I don't see how that could be a bad thing unless you went to an extreme. I guess that would be like "too much bacon."
icon_smile.gif

The cooking time is dictated by the size of the cut--i.e., thickness v. dimensions--cooking temp, the nature and quantity of internal connective tissue, intramuscular tissue and fat, and the desired finish texture. Chuck roasts (a bit of a misnomer since there are different ones which can yield different results) might take that long because they are relatively thin and the nature of their IM tissue is thicker and coarser. Chuck rolls (several chuck roasts still in one piece but much more massive) take much less time per pound because of their size--their mass--which slows the process down substantially and allows more time.

Though the tissue in butt is not as coarse nor as thick as in beef shoulder it still needs time which means balancing thickness of the cut with temp. I cook 'normal'-sized butts at 250-265 grate (I don't think lower is necessary unless you need to milk the time) and smaller butts work fine at this temp as well but there is a point where smaller--i.e., thinner--means you really have to foil lest you risk losing moisture to evaporation during the time rendering is happening; one sees this with cuts of chuck which is why foiling or cooking in a covered pan is recommended.

I'd be inclined to go with a crosswise halved bone-in butt (so it would be ~3.5 lbs) and start the cook around ~250-265 grate to start. When the butt broke plateau (170) I'd foil and bump up the cook temp to 300. This is what I'd try first anyway. If you have time for a practice before your practice, great. I'm not a fan of injecting meat that is destined to be pulled but you certainly can. I'd be more inclined to allow the meat to warm towards room temp (thereby cutting the cook time) before cooking and that is something you can consider as well.

Good luck with your cook.

Back