Question about Stainless Grates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Clark

TVWBB Pro
I just bought a 26.75 OTG and it came with stainless steel grates.

Does anyone know which other Weber charcoal grills come form the factory with the stainless grates?

I haven't bought a new grill since 2001. None of what I bought came with an SS. I purchased them through Weber. If your 26er comes with them, I don't suppose it's a stretch to imagine they all do at this point. Shear speculation on my part, however.

I went to their website and looked around.

It seems all the grills, except for the 26, come with plated steel cooking grates.

They used to list the stainless grill grates on their website, and they were only a couple bucks more if not the same price as the plated grates.

I do not see them listed anymore.

I guess I will e-mail CS.

As the 26 comes with stainless grates, I was sure that the Ranch Kettle would too, but the specs state that it has coated grates - Seems like only the 26 has stainless.

I bought a stainless grate for my Performer. They're still available in Europe.

-Mark.

From Weber CS -

Hello Robert Clark,

Thank you for contacting Weber Customer Service’s Email Support.

Unfortunately the stainless steel hinged cooking grate for the 18.5" grills has been discontinued. I apologize for any inconvenience.

The 26.75" grill is the only one that has stainless steel grates out of the factory.

We have the stainless steel hinged cooking grate for the 22.5" grill.

The part number is 3070784 and our cost is $29.99.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Never bought the stainless before. They really that good? As in, don't need to be replaced every year? if so, I'll start converting each of my grills to them (3 of them). Too bad on the 18.5 I knew i should have grabbed one for my WSM

Are the grates on SS the same thickness as the regular hinged grates?

Is the Stainless any easier to clean then the plated?

Harry

The SS grates diameter is 3/16in same as the nickel plated grates. I too would believe that they would be at least 1/4" in, but no. Om the plus side, the SS grated are polished and textured stainless grade, making for a better non stick contact. And this has been proven by me doing a fish and chicken test between the SS and nickel plated. IMO, the SS grates are totally worth it, just wish they were thicker.

I'm disappointed - I was waiting for the stainless grates to reach the UK so I could have a stainless grate for my (18.5) WSM main grate and hence put it in the dishwasher. It's not an issue with my grill but I like to get my WSM very clean between smokes because of the lower temps(also a 22.5" for my performer was on the wish list). I guess they need to keep their plating plant busy.

Originally posted by Robert Clark:
From Weber CS -

Hello Robert Clark,

Unfortunately the stainless steel hinged cooking grate for the 18.5" grills has been discontinued. I apologize for any inconvenience.

The 26.75" grill is the only one that has stainless steel grates out of the factory.

Didn't see it on the Weber web site. Is it gone now?

steve, its there. go to the weber site and then to the charcoal accessories. then click on show all. about 9 rows down you will see it.

Thank you so very much. I typed the part number in the search bar and it showed zero results.
icon_confused.gif
They need to fix that. I see lots of other folks have had the same issue.

I called Weber back in June when I couldn't locate the SS grate for my 22.5 OTG on their website (it had recently been "updated"), and it took the nice lady rep with whom I spoke - they're ALL nice there, BTW, as many of you no doubt know - about 15 minutes to finally locate it. Received it about four days later, as I recall....

Originally posted by Robert Clark:
From Weber CS -

Hello Robert Clark,

Man this was timely, kept thinking about picking some up for the WSM.
icon_confused.gif
These guys still have some in stock. I just called and confirmed live that they were stainless steel as described

18.5 SS Grates??

They had 8 in stock. They are in California. Thing is the list price they show is the same for the nickel plated I believe so thinking this is an error even so. They show the 22.5 versions as SS as well.

Looks like they will take returns including shipping though if the problem is their error. So might be worth a try.

Editing to add their response - looks like these are the real deal they called to check with Weber to assure that what they had was SS:

(800) 375-3403 Open 7 Days a Week
My Account | Contact Us | Help | View Our Network

For best results, turn images on
Shop By Room | Shop By Department | Special Offers | Seasonal | DIY Guides | Featured Brands |
Dear rbenash@verizon.net,

Not a pain at all! I called the manufacturer and they confirmed that these are stainless steel. If you have any further questions, please let me know!

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Ashley
Chico, CA 95973
(800) 375-3403 x3643

Original Request:

SITE: build
Name: Raymond Benash
Subject: Weber 18.5 Grate
Order Number: Not Provided
Phone Number: 6102124603
Preferred Contact: phone
Request Text:
Hello - I don't want to be a pain but want to make sure this item is stainless steel and not the nickel plated steel grates. Site description says stainless steel. I did talk to one of your reps before ordering to confirm (great service!).
I want to make sure though that you know that I placed my order for three with the expectation that these are the 18.5 SS grates. I can get nickel plated steel version locally/from Weber. But the 18.5 SS grates are no longer available from Weber. My understanding is that I will be able to return these for full refund including shipping both ways if they are not SS. Please confirm? Thanks

Happy Home Improving,
Build.com

So - looks like these ought to be the real/SS deal. They still have 5 left I believe. Kind of stoked/hoping that I got in under the wire and managed to get some SS 18.5 after all.

I e-mailed them too, and they confirmed they were stainless.

I know the part numbers match the plated ones, but they said I could return for full refund if they were not stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back