??? Question about pecan wood ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
What flavor does pecan wood produce in WSM? Is it mild like apple?

A man that lives near me offered to give me several 3/4" thich pecan boards. They are culls from some he had been using to make wood projects. Knots, splits, ect... rendered them usless for his purposes. I thought I could cut them into short lenghts and then split them with a hatchet for use on smoker.

He also offered to sell me a BUNCH of good grade pecan boards that he paid 100 dollars for, for 50 dollars!! But that would be enough pecan to smoke a million times!!lol Well, maybe not a million times but.....uno. Plus it would be a shame to cut that beautiful wood up to burn. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Thinking of buying it for my hobby, building cutting boards. Should make some nice ones! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pecan is great, it is somewhat lika a mild Hickory. Nothing is as mild as Apple which only works with Chicken and Fish IMO. Try the Pecan I think you'll like it.

Pecan is great - that's what we prefer for the logburner. Milder than hickory, but still has enough oomph to make its presence known.

Convenient, too, since my uncle over around Stillwater OK is a retired commercial horticulturist "Nut Doctor" specializing in pecans, with LOTS of pecan trees on his place. When it's pruning time, we get to load up on as much as we want. We also now have connections at a local peach orchard, and have been given carte blanche to to raid their "brush pile" when we want. DEFINITELY going to be bringing those folks some smoked goodies on a regular basis. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Pecan is a wonderful wood for turkey and chicken I like to mix it with peach!! I have had great results at home and in competitions with pecan!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Nothing is as mild as Apple which only works with Chicken and Fish IMO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll have to respectfully dissagree with that.
I often use apple wood with spares and pork loins, and have been very pleased with the results.
I will agree about the pecan wood, though. Wonderful stuff!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Lax:
[qb] Pecan is a wonderful wood for turkey and chicken I like to mix it with peach!! I have had great results at home and in competitions with pecan! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ditto (two Dougs can't be wrong). Apple + spares = excellent.

I have been using pecan for smoking brisket for about a year now. Up until recently, I was using chips, which smoked rapidly, but died out pretty quickly. I switched to chunks when I found a source while competing in Omaha.

I never really compared pecan to hickory. Always thought it was a milder version of oak. To me, hickory is the strongest smoke wood (after mesquite), oak comes next, followed by pecan. I am sure there are other strong woods that I have yet to try.

I agree with apple for pork. Neighbor cut down his father's apple tree last year and gave me a bunch of logs which I am still using, although it is getting drier than I prefer. I usually end up soaking the chunks after I cut them to restore some of the lost moisture.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back