Question About Moldy Grill

JohanetteMeakin

I had a huge green egg and was getting ready to smoke it today when I saw white and green moulid on my plate and the grill grates (this is the first time mould has appeared in several years of ownership). I cleaned the top with a wire brush before turning on the grill to 225 degrees.

Before I put my pork butt in the grill, it had been over 140 degrees for around 20 minutes (I only say this because of what I've read online). After that, I told my wife about the incident, and it dawned to me that this might not have been a good idea.
It's been approximately an hour since the pig butt was turned on. Is it gone or am I in good shape?
For what it's worth, I didn't notice any moulid on the grate when I placed it down, but I know it doesn't matter when it comes to moulid.

I'm curious as to what everyone's opinions are on this topic.

Last edited:
There are some food safety experts on the forum, I have no idea what they're going to say. I think you'll be OK, but I'm no expert. Not sure how long you've been married.... My advice is don't have secrets, but I don't volunteer any info about grilling problems either... ;)

My PK 360 got SOAKED this week because I forgot to cover the vents and put the grill cover on and then I left town. I'm planning to remove all the wet ash and charcoal and "burn it out" with a half chimney of charcoal with vents wide open tomorrow just to make sure it's all dry. I might smoke a butt or some beef ribs in there on Saturday or Sunday.

My egg did this all the time. I would just crank up the heat to burn it all off before cooking on it but I guess its a little late for that now. I say you will be fine but I'm no expert.

I'm not an expert but time and temperature kills things like mold. Once it hits 180 I'm sure the mold will gone.

like @Russ in CFL I've had mold a couple of times and high heat took care of it quickly.

IMG_6371.jpeg

The summer house grill looks like this at the start of each season- the basement where it’s kept is damp.

I have typically used oven cleaner.

High heat around 30 minutes-

I let it sit all afternoon and this evening I just used an old paint brush to clear out the remnants

IMG_6377.jpeg

Back