Question about doing a pizza in my Genesis

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I am planning to do a "take and bake" pizza in my Genesis 3 burner. I am going to use a Weber CI skillet for the base sitting on top of the grates. Should I preheat the skillet of put the pizza on the cold skillet before I put it in the grill?

In case it matters, it will be a "Cauliflower Crust" pizza.

Bruce, when I cooked pizza on my Silver B, I found if I moved the pizza up higher, away from the burners, towards the top of the lid it would have the best chance of melting the cheese before over cooking or burning the crust. I would preheat the grill on high to get it really hot and then put the pizza on an upside down aluminum sheet pan raised up a bit. I used different things to raise the pizza up higher but this was 15+ years ago so I really don't recall specifics. I might have used bricks or rocks to be honest. Back then it was my only grill and I didn't have much extra "stuff" to be creative with.

Knowing what you have out back, I suggest using a couple f.avorizer bars on top of the cooking grate and set a second grate on top of the flavorizer bars. This will move the pizza up a few inches so the crust is farther from direct heat.

I'm not sure about using CI. Maybe put it on the main grate under the raised grate as a heat shield. If the top is cooked but the bottom not done enough you can slide the nearly cooked pizza onto the really hot CI skillet to crunch up the crust.

I've never had a Cauliflower Crust pizza though I've heard they are good. I mention this because I don't know how that crust cooks compared to a flour crust.

Does the take-and-bake come in its own heat resistant tray like papa murphy's? or is it supposed to be baked on a cookie sheet? or is it cooked directly on oven grates?

Take pics and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
From what my friends who've tried cauliflower crust pizza have said you better keep the windows open and the exhaust fans going on full force. Apparently that stuff causes some REALLY bad "gaseous" issues. You may end up in the dog house and even the dog may kick you out :D

I use metal pizza pans with holes in it. Preheat to 325 and cook untill desired crispy crust is achieved. Any hotter and the crust burns before cheese is golden brown. I tried a pizza stone and didn't like it. I'll stick with my pizza pans. We make a lot of pizza from scratch but I also cook frozen pizza this way. Best way to cook pizza for me wayyyy better than in a oven. I'm sure there are even better ways to cook a pizza but with what I have on hand 👌🏼
Screenshot_20240817_075518_Photos.jpg

I personally never thought I would find a better "pizza machine" than my Wolf. Perfectly plenty hot heat from underneath and fierce heat from the IR burner on top. It cooks a "mean" ZA. BUT! You pizza guys without a pellet grill? You're missing something here. For giggles I've tossed a few frozen za's in both the MM and the Big Z. Set the dial to whatever is called for on the box. (usually in the 425-450 range) and plop them right on the grates. The "convection" action is amazing. I've not done one the CFO has made from scratch yet but if what I am seeing with frozen ones (both thin and thick crust) are any indication. Gonna be amazing.
I was REALLY hesitant to do them on there but they work incredibly well

I personally never thought I would find a better "pizza machine" than my Wolf. Perfectly plenty hot heat from underneath and fierce heat from the IR burner on top. It cooks a "mean" ZA. BUT! You pizza guys without a pellet grill? You're missing something here. For giggles I've tossed a few frozen za's in both the MM and the Big Z. Set the dial to whatever is called for on the box. (usually in the 425-450 range) and plop them right on the grates. The "convection" action is amazing. I've not done one the CFO has made from scratch yet but if what I am seeing with frozen ones (both thin and thick crust) are any indication. Gonna be amazing.
I was REALLY hesitant to do them on there but they work incredibly well
I bet that makes an amazing 😍 pizza!

Agree with the metal pan (solid or holes). CI pan would work too. Stones imo are not worth the effort and fuel required to heat them up.

Cook the take/bake for a few minutes and then it becomes easy to remove the cardboard. It is very difficult to separate the wet cardboard from the raw wet dough.

The tough part of gas grill pizza is that the bottom usually cooks faster than the top. There's just too much room in the lid to focus the heat on the pizza top.

Larry's top IR burner is a great solution to get the top and bottom both cooked at the same time. You can try to boost the pizza up higher into the lid space like Dan suggests. You can also rig up some kind of lid. I have a Kettle Pizza Gas Pro lid -- it works meh.

Best solution, imo, is 2 minutes under the broiler in your kitchen oven at the end.

For take/bake, I go carboard on metal pan for a few minutes. Remove carboard and cook on pan for a few more minutes. If you want more crisp bottom, try a couple minutes directly on the grates. Then couple minutes under the kitchen broiler.

Well, I did two. One on Weber GBS CI pan and one one a CI skillet inside the Genesis. I have to say they came out very good. I ran them on the CI pans for about 15 minutes and then out on the bare grates for another 4-5. The GBS grate fit the 12" pizza and the CI pan was perfect for the 10". I can't believe it, but I really like Cauliflower crusted pizza. I don't know if they make it hand tossed or deep dish style, but for thin crust, it is very good stuff.

I cooked them at about 425 for about 15 minutes and then the last 5 minutes, I slid them off the CI pans onto the bare grates. That crisped up the crust nicely. Not cracker crisp, but just perfect. We added some Burrata cheese on them and that was really good. For a larger pizza, I would just use my thin pizza pan like Jim does.

I always forget to take photos and the evidence is disposed of now.
I do have a photo of some K-bobs that I did later on though.

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• 1723982035324.jpeg
    1723982035324.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1

Back