Question about behavior

Hmm, so If I set it back to 5% or more, it starts oscillating more again. With 3% and it's almost perfectly stable now, although the damper is open about 60% most of the time. This is interesting for sure. I bet some commercial solutions like the Pit IQ and such aren't super adjustable so they probably oscillate but you don't really notice it since you aren't graphing it.

It would be nice to get it down to requiring less damper and no fan, but it seems just that tiny bit of fan makes a big difference. The damper is connected to the pit via a 18" 3/4" flex copper water line. Would it be better to have a shorter coupler?

Seems to be working much better. After the adjustments, I had the fire almost run out, so I added more coals and then it seems to work pretty good.

Ah shoot, sorry about the values. This last round was B=0, P=5, I=.005, D=8

Here's the whole graph for the evening from about 9PM after I put more coal on and let it run dry. This was only a small basket of coal, so it only got about 4 hours of burn, but it's pretty stable. I will say the the first big swings were because I still had the fan on with 3%. At ab out 21:25 I changed it to be fan on at max only. At that point it seemed to swing a lot less.

And finally a shot of my Mini WSM with RD3:

Last edited:

Back