question about adding gasket to WSM 18.5"

If it is self stick then you won't need the high heat silicon sealant. The one I got was not self stick, and it came with the silicon sealant. You should not have any problem. Best advice is to read the instructions that come with the kit and follow it exactly. Good Luck.

The gasket I installed had a peel and stick backing. I cleaned the area of the WSM off really well with acetone making sure all I could see was clean porcelain. Then I cleaned it with Windex glass cleaner. Be sure not to stretch the gasket as you install it. I didn't use any additional adhesive other than the backing and several years later it's still holding up just fine. As was said earlier follow the instructions with the product and you will be fine.

Thanks for the replies!

well, the top gasket went on fine- lid sits snug. THe gasket for the lower section... Im not thrilled with. It sorta wanted to go vertically--not much of an edge to put it horizontally. So, sideways it went. Now, I am not so sure the thing seats properly. I'll have to figure out how to post some pics later...

Thanks for the replies!

well, the top gasket went on fine- lid sits snug. THe gasket for the lower section... Im not thrilled with. It sorta wanted to go vertically--not much of an edge to put it horizontally. So, sideways it went. Now, I am not so sure the thing seats properly. I'll have to figure out how to post some pics later...

Did I do this wrong?

C7E38EAD-5D23-4D7A-93A2-8D125493B287.jpg

593661A1-65BB-468F-913E-08ED49580B3B.jpg

I tried putting a gasket on the bottom, but ended up pulling it off since it didn't fit right or seem necessary on my WSM. I had a gasket for the door when I had the original weber door but took it off once I got the Cajun Bandit stainless steel door. It seemed like the gasket was too thick to let the CB door latch shut without putting a lot of pressure on the body of the WSM and/or bowing out the outer edges of the door. I still have a seal on the top of the midsection to seal the lid. I originally did the gaskets to get the coals to extinguish faster but now just set the body and lid of the WSM on the ground on a thick rubber door mat and use the lid of a Weber kettle to set on the WSM charcoal chamber to get the coals to extinguish faster. I don't really get a lot of wind where the WSM is set up and I don't stress about a little smoke leaking.

Kris yours looks good. Thats the same way i did my 18. Worked Great on door and top of mid section but like terry above It was a bit thick on the bottom of the mid section. It was fine while cooking and was very airtight but when ever i moved the smoker when it wasn't in use, the mid section turned crooked. I just sold my 18 for a used 22 and will see how it's sealed before i consider gasket on the new one.

Back