Q'n for extra money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
Anyone done it and have any advice or opinions?

I have someone I went to school with years ago.
icon_wink.gif
Anyhow I saw him the other day and we got talkin about BBQ. He owns a campgrounds on a local lake. He told me it would be alright with him if I came down and BBQ and sell it. He thought it was a great idea. I think it is a great way to make money with my favorite hobby.

I figured someone here has probobly done something like this already.

A few thoughts: Licenses, taxes, permits, the board of health, liability insurance, etc, can take the fun right out of a hobby-for-profit idea, especially when selling consumables to the public.

Don't let me totally dissuade you, though. Try a Find on the term "catering" for a lot of info on the ins and outs.

That is something I hadn't really considered. I guess I need to do some research on that.

I was just thinking about going camping once or twice a month and taking the smoker with me. It is becoming part of the family.
icon_biggrin.gif
I hadn't considered much else yet.

Thanks Doug.

Doug is correct. You are going to need some sort of liability insurance if you are selling any type of food, even not from a commercial kitchen set up. I don't know about permits on this type of thing, as health department regulations vary from county to county. Also, it's wise to have your safe food handler's certificate, either from Serv-Safe or your county health department.

Once you take care of the business on your end as it relates to selling food for profit, everything else will fall into place, and it's always good to have your T's crossed so you don't get fined.

Jeff,

Having dealt with liability issues for years, how many zero's are you prepared to write on the check if someone you sell Q to gets sick and talks to his uncle, the attorney??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back