q'ing spares: top dries out

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Hey everybody,

I've been q'ing mostly spares for the last couple of months and have noticed a problem I never had (or never noticed) with back ribs. They are always delicious, always great looking, and usually the consistency I like. However, I get this sort of tough, leathery skin on the top of them (I neither roll nor put them in a rack, as I usually cook 1 or 2 racks at a time). The "skin" is not only tough, but if you bite into one rib and pull away you can almost pull the whole sheet of 'skin' off the top of the rack. Any ideas to solve this? Basting maybe?

Are you cooking them bone-side down or up? Sometimes radiant heat can dry the meat out. I'd cook them bone-side down.

Also, make sure your temps are accurate. The tough, leathery skin is usually indicative of the meat being overcooked.

The legendary Danny Gaulden suggests painting the ribs with a good vegetable oil about two hours into the cook, and then again about three hours later (see http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=68).

I like to mix some oil in with the apple juice that I spray-baste with, myself. Either way will help that dry spare skin that you describe - it did mine.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Phil

The problem could be in your rub. If you put to much on the ribs it might dry them out a little. Also it depends on what is in your rub that might be causing the dryness.This is just my thought. Basting with apple juice helps keep them moist.

I like to keep a spray bottle of apple juice on hand when they look alittle thirsty i give them a squrit. I start doing that after the first hour and half of smoking
icon_wink.gif

Back