Q'ing Porck chops with BRITU rub.

Darren H

TVWBB Member
Hey guys.

Decided to Q up some chops and had some BRITU rub left over from the rib cookout.
Question I have is how long do I need to cook these chops?. What should the internal temp be at before I pull them off and eat em up?.

Thanks in advance.

DH

I do thick, center cut (I think) chops when I can find a good deal on them. I don't like to take the internal temp of the meat beyond 150 before I pull them off. The temp will climb a little, but this allows them to maintain some moisture.

Paul

Hello Paul..

Thanks for the reply.
I decided to cook these up at 250F to 275F and pulled them off the grill when they were 156 internal.Placed them in foil and let them rest for 10 mins. Cut them open and there was a little pink inside but boy o boy were they juicy and tender. It was almost like cutting into a roast!. I used 3/4 of chimney of Kingsford, Full water pan, and 3 handfuls of mesquite wood chips.

My buddy called my up last night and wants me to bring my smoker over to his place this Saturday for a Party. He mentioned something about Ribs, and a Venison Roast.
I told him that I'll be bringing the fatties so my son and I are off to Wally World tonight to pick a couple of em. I just can't get enough of those babies.. maybe I'll get 6 units..

DH

Paul....

Last one I cooked a just threw on the grill naked. No rub or stuffing.
What do you suggest as a good rub or stuffing?.

I heard peperjack cheese is good as a stuffing, but the centre gets too mushy. Never tried a rub on any of em yet. You have a suggestions?

DH

Darren, Haven't had good luck with stuffing as far as cheese goes. It kinda melts away into a small glob. However, pick your favorite rub or make your own. Spice the rub up a little and roll that puppy in it. Make sure you get the ends. Pop it on the smoker. I'm going to try to cook them next time to about 160-165. I've been doing them to 170 and they have been sort of dry. Did a turkey roll a couple of weeks ago. Really need to spice that one up. Rolled it in taco seasoning. Interesting flavor.

Hello Paul..

Decided to goto Gander Mountain to check if they have any rubs or marinades and let me say this.. they have lot's. Picked up a can of cajun and of lemon pepper seasoning and some venison seasoning also. Noticed that they had a Tops next door so I checked it out for Fatties.
I ended up getting the following :

1) Bob Evans - Savory Sage
2) Bob Evans - Zesty Hot
3) Bob Evans - Maple
4) Jimmy Dean - Hot
5) Jimmy Dean - Regular
6) Jimmy Dean - Seriously Bold

I talk to Marko and he's providing 3 racks of ribs and I'm bring 3-4 fatties.
I cook my fatties to about 162 then I pull off and eat em up!. Do you have any good rubs I can try on em?.

Thanks.

DH

Darren, I found a million rub recipes by just doing a goggle search for bbq rubs. I picked one that the ingredients looked good and went with it. Thanks to Chris this site has an area dedicated to rubs. Scroll through them and take your pick. Unfortunately the recipe I use is at home and I'm at work. Can't remember the name.

Paul..

thanks for the reply. I'll check on the site here for fattie rubs. I may wrap a couple in bacon and then rub the remaining few.
Have you ever tried them wrapped in bacon?. WOnder how they turn out?

thanks,

DH

I always thought a fattie was those grilling sausages that are a bit bigger than a hot dog.

Post back what you think of Bob Evans sausage. We don't buy it anymore because it seems have a bit more gristle than others. I like Jimmy Dean so I am going to have to try one of them on the smoker. Sounds really good.

Back