Q'ing fish and ribs

BenjaminW

TVWBB Member
My wife wants me to smoke some salmon for her. Im not a huge fan of seafood, so I want to smoke some ribs for myself. Has anyone ever cooked any pork with fish in the smoker?? Do the ribs take any fishy flavor from the fish?

Ben I've heard accounts of stuff tasting fishy on the next cook when using the same grates, but I can't speak for cooked at the same time. I know my smoker reaked of fish smell after cooking up a few slabs of salmon. I ended up scrubing it out, for the first and only time in the two years I've owned it.

I'll let others add in here on cooking at the same time since I've never done it.

When I do fish, I usually make a sling out of foil and do not have it touching the grate, but I have never noticed an off-taste after doing fish. I typically smoke fish in the Weber kettle.

The thing about fish is that it will be overpowered if you give it the same smoke treatment as ribs. What I would do is have your ribs finish about an hour before you plan to eat, then add a small chunk of alder or other very mild smoke wood, open up the vents and do the salmon by itself.

thanks, thats sorta what I was afraid of. Being that its 10 deg here today, I dont wanna be sitting outside with the hose scrubbing away. Maybe I will have to get another wsm for fish only!!!!

Back