Q'd Some BB Ribs - Needed Some More Moisture - ideas?

Ben Milano

TVWBB Member
I Q'd up about 7 pounds of bb ribs over the weekend using Paul Kirk's mustard slather and my own dry rub mix.

I cooked 'em for about 3 1/2 hours and they were awesome when I took them out. But I felt that they could have been a bit more moist. I did notice that I did not have that much water in the pan at the 3 hour mark so I added about a gallon of water.

About 30-40 minutes before removal I basted with apple juice. My temp was about 225-230 for the first two hours but then dropped to about 200-215 for the rest of the cooking process. I added more charcoal (Kingford), but it only increased the temp a few degrees.

Overall the ribs tasted great but I was surprised at the temp I was getting, the fact that it only took 3-3 1/2 hours to smoke 'em and they were not that moist.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben

3.5 hours is a little on the short side of the time needed to finish the ribs. Did they meet the "twist test"? How did you measure doneness?

To lose that much water from your pan makes me think you fired up a chimney or two? Maybe try the MM next time.

You should be all right if you plan on a 4-5 hour cook. Let 'em sit for 3, spray and foil for a 1/2-3/4, then let 'em sit till they meet the "twist test".

Or is it tug test?? I forget...

No foil? Maybe something to try next time.
I do the 3 hours on, (up to) 2 hours in foil, 1 hour w/ sauce method. There are many variations on that method. Have you tried it? ... before I start to post stuff that you already may know?

Ben--

Spares or b-backs?

'Not that moist' for ribs usually means not cooked long enough, cooked too long, or cooked at too low a temp. With the cook time you've mentioned I'm thinking a combo of the first and third? Were they tender? Chewy at all? Are you confidant your temp readings were accurate?

Sound like maybe the end of the cook was too low and the collagen didn't break down correctly. I call it "Chubby Checker Ribs" ... they gotta do The Twist before they come off the grill.

Rippingly hot, but the bone still has to twist -- no amount of meat shrinkage along the bone will do. Maybe I'm just accustomed to overcooked ribs, but we all luv 'em.

Kevin/Jimbo,

I would like to pick up on somethings both of you mentioned ... and that is (1) how one can cook ribs at too low a temperature and (2) how ribs can become more tender/moist by cooking them longer.

Smoking ribs on Sunday, it seemed to me that the ribs were "done" at probably the half way point (approx. 3 hrs), but I trust they benefited from additional time on the smoker.

The breaking down of collagen makes since ... I've seen it mentioned in relation to brisket and butts.

Is the "twist test" the best way to tell if a rib is done?

I will give you my thoughts on ribs.

1)cooking ribs too low of a temp takes way too long to get them done, and that will cause them to become dry.

2) You answered youre own question. It takes time for the ribs to break down and become tender. You can get to the point to where they look done, but wont be. Foil helps big time if you want the meat to fall off the bone. I foil for 30-45 minutes tops because I like a little more of a fight.

Look around this site for ideas on temps and timing. Plenty of info here.
Hope this helped.

Dale,

So, ribs could be "done" meaning that they are safe to eat ... but not "done" in the sense that additional cooking will make them more tender?

That's counter intuitive to me ... my first guess would be that once "done", additional cooking would dry them out ... make them tougher.

I don't know if I'll have the courage to keep smoking something that looks so good as it is!

Dennis,
That is exactly what im saying. Been there done that. That is why foil is a tool that helps me with my ribs. Foil with a splash of juice, or some kind of mop. I go a step further with mine. I grill them after foiling adding sauce so it gets that glaze thing going. Only for a few minutes and they taste great to me. Practice until you find the answer!

Dennis,

Dale covered it all. Too low is to much evap to get the meat to break down.

I foil also at the end and use apple juice, jalapeno jelly and a couple of shots of bourbon (all heated) mopped over them just prior to sealing. I foil mine for an hour, but have been known to just dig right in.

I foil also at the end and use apple juice, jalapeno jelly and a couple of shots of bourbon (all heated) mopped over them just prior to sealing.

Funny you should mention this ... as I used a couple of shots of bourbon also ... just didn't think to add the bourbon to the ribs.
icon_wink.gif

Yep, I think Dale covered it. I, too, foil--with a juice combo--but they are not done when they go into the foil; they are when they come out, but not ready for serving. Though I don't glaze, the additional time on the grill post-foiling is needed to get the texture right, imo. They have--or should have--enough moisture in them to make this possible. But left on too long yes, they would dry out.

Hey Kevin,
I am with you on the no glaze ribs. I love them that way too but most everybody that I feed prefer sauced so I give in most of the time. I have served sauce on the side and they drown the poor ribs anyhow so I glaze, then hide the sauce so they cant ruin the ribs.

Might do some "dooey ribs" for Smokeday.

Dale--LOL, I know what you mean. I am fortunate that the people for whom I cook most have learned (shall we say) many of their tastes from me, so I do what I want. I like glazes and think they have their place, I've just not been fond of them on ribs, much preferring the feel of the meat and bit of bark. But I'm playing with a concept now (based on a gastrique, if you're familiar with that) that I'm hoping to be able to apply very thinly and finish dry, with no trace of stickiness. No idea if I'll prefer it but I'll have fun playing with the idea!

Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. I too felt that the temp was too low. I thinkthe key here is the foil thing. I'll take your suggestion Dale and foil about 30 minutes ro so before taking 'em out.

Lastly, I am a HUGE fan of wet ribs but after eating smoked dry ribs I must say, I tempted to do dry with the sauce on the side. Not to blow my own horn - but those ribs I cooked were mighty tasty!

Back