Q2200 searing temp

Troy A Allen

TVWBB Fan
Searing some loin chops at 700 degrees for two minutes each side to a perfect 145 degrees. Stainless steel grates burn off to a powder in 10 minutes at this temp for easy cleaning!

Attachments

• C59876F0-E6FA-4EED-BD03-8B3EE025B1AB.jpeg
    C59876F0-E6FA-4EED-BD03-8B3EE025B1AB.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 22
I am grilling chicken and also a potato, carrot, and onions foil bag for supper tonight. Will take some pics. then of the warm up. Not going to cook that at 700 degrees, more like 350 degrees for 30 to 45 min., or 165 degrees on the chicken.

I put a new regular hose and regulator on my Q200. It went from maxing out around 400-450 on the lid thermometer to more like 600+. It was great for a quick cook. Took 5 mins to hit 500 degrees. It was all great until one night I decided to leave the grill on after a cook to burn off the grease. Well, next morning I realized I left it on all night and the 20lb tank was empty. The grate was really clean except for some ash. But, I also notice the grill had literally sunk (melted) down about 1/2" or so where it mounts to the legs. I think I came fairly close to nuclear meltdown.

Here you can see how the bolts holding the grill to the frame are sunk down. I am not saying you shouldn't do what you are doing. I did it. But just beware and don't forget to turn the grill off after done using it.20210627 Melt down.jpg

I put a new regular hose and regulator on my Q200. It went from maxing out around 400-450 on the lid thermometer to more like 600+. It was great for a quick cook. Took 5 mins to hit 500 degrees. It was all great until one night I decided to leave the grill on after a cook to burn off the grease. Well, next morning I realized I left it on all night and the 20lb tank was empty. The grate was really clean except for some ash. But, I also notice the grill had literally sunk (melted) down about 1/2" or so where it mounts to the legs. I think I came fairly close to nuclear meltdown.

Here you can see how the bolts holding the grill to the frame are sunk down. I am not saying you shouldn't do what you are doing. I did it. But just beware and don't forget to turn the grill off after done using it.View attachment 31973
Yeah, I think you were really Lucky on that one Bruce. Would the firebox eventually been sitting on the plastic as it sunk down?

I think it would have fell out of the legs and wound up bottomed out on top of the grease pan. At that point, who knows since it was sitting on a wood shelf.

Yeah the grill has design parameters for a reason. Going Tim the Toolman is not a smart thing to do and not something that should be endorsed

Richard, I forgot to take pics. I use this grill for camping trips only. I did this conversion 8 years ago, very tried and true. Don't remember the bit size, I got it from a grill mods site. As far as the regulator, anything is better than the junk weber Q regulators. You can use a adjustable regulator also to achieve just about any temp you want. What happened to Bruce is a fluke and 700 degrees for 10 to 12 hours, I would expect exactly what happened. Give it a shot, you wont regret it if you want to sear great steaks and chops!!

Last edited:
Word of caution to anyone else reading some of this. Adjustable LP regulators are NOT made for grills/low pressure applications. When trying to run at lower output they get VERY loosy Goosy and begin to drift when you least expect it. They CAN be and ARE dangerous to use in wrong application. They are meant for fryers and heaters NOT GRILLS!

Absolutely!! if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it!! But if you are half way competent, this is a great mod for searing steaks!!

The Q series get MORE than hot enough to properly sear a steak without resorting to needless mods. Sorry. But totally stock my 320 gets MORE than hot enough to do it's job. Even lid up.

My Q320 reaches 650 on a hot day in stock form also ,no need for any mods. But the Q2200 that I'm talking about only reaches 450, no where near hot enough! If you are happy with yours, more power to ya. I was not at all, but have been very happy with these mods for the last 8 years. I appreciate your opinion, but it is just that, and respectfully disagree.

I tend to think of it like cars. Most people are ok with the speeds their cars can go. Some people like to mod them to go faster or with grills. burn hotter. Nothing wrong with experimenting, testing, and posting results. My grills are pretty stock, but I have played around in the past and this is good info from both perspectives. If people are not satisficed with factory settings, now they know more if they want to tinker. It is always at your own risk when playing with fire. It would be kind of neat to have 2 modded grills, one maybe with a smaller orifice for low and slow cooking, and one bored out to got hot and fast or the smash burger grill.

Back