Q120 - Burner or Regulator?

Michael-P

I have a Q120 that is several years old but has been serving me flawlessly on camping trips. I've used nothing but green 1 lb tanks with it for the last couple years. On my most recent trip it worked great on the first night but on the second night it wouldn't light. When I got home I took it apart and it looks like only the area near the ignitor actually catches (see attached photo for circled area). I cleaned out the burner holes and tried lighting them all manually with a lighter but no luck. Any idea what piece might need replacement?B000WOTUCI-burner.jpg

I have a Q120 that is several years old but has been serving me flawlessly on camping trips. I've used nothing but green 1 lb tanks with it for the last couple years. On my most recent trip it worked great on the first night but on the second night it wouldn't light. When I got home I took it apart and it looks like only the area near the ignitor actually catches (see attached photo for circled area). I cleaned out the burner holes and tried lighting them all manually with a lighter but no luck. Any idea what piece might need replacement?View attachment 15980
Sounds like the regulator to me. It's a pricey part.

Buy the regulator and replace it and you can still use the little tanks.

Or

You can bypass and use a big 20LB tank with a regulator on the hose.

Give yourself a little time as others will probably comment on ideas

OK, so the grill actually lights right there by the igniter electrode? but won't light all the way around?

If you are using 1lb tanks, then that eliminates the OPD being tripped. I am with BPratt and it is probably the regulator if you already cleaned up the burner tube. Like he said, either find a replacement Q1xx regulator (Pricey) or convert it to using a large bulk tank with a regular hose and built in regulator.

OK, so the grill actually lights right there by the igniter electrode? but won't light all the way around?

If you are using 1lb tanks, then that eliminates the OPD being tripped. I am with BPratt and it is probably the regulator if you already cleaned up the burner tube. Like he said, either find a replacement Q1xx regulator (Pricey) or convert it to using a large bulk tank with a regular hose and built in regulator.

Exactly, it lights only right next to the igniter (I can feel the heat) and stays lit but doesn't spread throughout the rest of the burner. The burner holes are all clear and didn't have any gunk when I ran some paper clips through them. It looks like a new Weber regulatory/gas control assembly runs almost $60 on grillparts.com

Yah, either find a donor grill to grab one off of, or convert it per that link above.

Did anything happen between the first night when it was working fine and the second night when it stopped working? Did you change tanks, for example?

The cost of a new regulator includes a new valve and bracket, so there's that.

Before you spend the $$$ on a new one, though, you might consider taking the valve apart and making sure the orifice and valve passage isn't blocked. One guy even found an insect larva in one of his valves! o_O

1602628572310.png

Last edited:
Did anything happen between the first night when it was working fine and the second night when it stopped working? Did you change tanks, for example?

The cost of a new regulator includes a new valve and bracket, so there's that.

Before you spend the $$$ on a new one, though, you might consider taking the valve apart and making sure the orifice and valve passage isn't blocked. One guy even found an insect larva in one of his valves! o_O

View attachment 16007

:sick:

I didn't change anything at all from night 1 to 2.

Back