q mods

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
anyone do any kind of mods to their q's ? can be anything. i ask cuz i gotta get a beer bottle/glass holder to put on my q cart.

Good morning George,

The only mod's I've ever done to a Q has been to add a thermo. I haven seen painted lids, which is tempting, but I suck at evenly applying spraypaint.

Good morning George,

The only mod's I've ever done to a Q has been to add a thermo. I haven seen painted lids, which is tempting, but I suck at evenly applying spraypaint.

Did you add the regular Q grill thermometer to it? I used a Q grill thermometer when I added one to a 18.5 OTG kettle and am really happy with it. Have considered adding one to my Q100 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I understand that drilling through the cast lid is pretty easy. Any info you have on this would be appreciated.

Did you add the regular Q grill thermometer to it? I used a Q grill thermometer when I added one to a 18.5 OTG kettle and am really happy with it. Have considered adding one to my Q100 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I understand that drilling through the cast lid is pretty easy. Any info you have on this would be appreciated.

I sure did. I taped the spot on my bro's Q200 with painters tape and started with my smallest drill bit. Then just kept enlarging the hole with each larger bit till the thermo fit. One thing to note is that the 00 series Q's do not have an indent for the thermo like the 20 series grills. Also, the Q thermo has an additional "nub" on the back that is likely to prevent it from twisting. I didn't drill an extra hole for it, I just made the one hole and tightened it as much as was reasonable with the nub there.

I think it turned out great! My brother thought the grill came that way.

I've done a couple of recent mods to my new Q320.

1. The first real mod was to replace the 1/4-20 screws that hold the feet to the cart with thumb screws. This way, I can use the grill on a park bench, and/or remove it from the base for easier transport.

2. Got a Coleman adaptor so that I could use the little green cans, so I don't have to lug around a 20lbs can for camping and such. Each can will last for a couple of short cooks like burgers and brats.

3. Although not well recommended around here, I did season the grates - multiple times, by coating the grates in Canola oil, and running the grill empty for about 30 minutes at ~350 or so between coats. Now, it's a nice thick amber coating that will prevent rust and really helps with sticking.

George--

1) Thanks for your reply
2) I LOVE your RED Q
3) Nice work on the wood

I'm thinking I may try to retro fit a sliding glass door handle to my Q. Hopefuly I can find one that is the right size and then I can stain it to be a nice rich color. **Hopefully

I suppose this counts as a mod :) Depending on the toppings, can cook a pizza in three minutes:
IMG_20130628_171031.jpg

ok, ok. the pizza mod kinda freaks me out. cutting a lid like that. they cheap over there ?
the painted one looks really nice. how did you do it and is it working out ?

ok. i've been wondering about this as on my red one the paint had gotten pits and chips on the surface. weber did replace the lid. but still using the old one till it gets to annoying. when i cook on mine the red paint becomes soft. not sure what their process is. plus it will stain easily. so i just assumed that one would want to take the old paint off. maybe the light color is differant. i'm lookin for a cheap q120 that i can paint red !

3. Although not well recommended around here, I did season the grates - multiple times, by coating the grates in Canola oil, and running the grill empty for about 30 minutes at ~350 or so between coats. Now, it's a nice thick amber coating that will prevent rust and really helps with sticking.

Why is this not recommended? I am to the point of replacing my grates on my Q300 because they are so rusted and dirty...no amount of brushing can get them clean. I am not a big fan of these grates. Should I not consider seasoning them?

Back