Pyrex Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy Robinson

R.I.P 3/14/2017
Just got home from Bed, Bath and beyond where I went to their BBQ gadget section and purchased a pyrex professional digital thermometer. Started to cut the plastic to get it out so I could give it the boiling water test and spotted a label stuck on the inside cardboard that says, "DO NOT USE PROBE AND WIRE IN OVEN WITH TEMPERATURE OVER 400*F DO NOT USE IN GRILL." (The all caps are theirs not mine) Is this standard and is to be taken seriously? If it is then why do they display them in the BBQ section. Has anybody run into this problem? If so please tell me your experience.

Thanks in advance for your help.

People use the term "smoking" when they mean bbq, and grilling when they mean bbq, and "cold smoking" when they mean regular smokehouse smoking, etc. and so forth. Drives me nuts because I like words and terms to count for something.

In your case, don't worry if you are using it with the WSM because you never reach those temps, but, yes, the device cannot take excessive temperatures and survive. In fact, the several that I bought, along with replacement probes, couldn't even take normal usage and survive.

Keep the pkg. and receipt, Cy, so you'll have recourse when the probe fails. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Dean,
Decided to keep the pyrex unit. Did the boiling water test and it indicated 208* when the water was boiling. Think I can live with a 4* error. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The pork butt is rubbed and wrapped in plastic and living in the refrigerator. It will come out of there at 0330, get a re-rub if required and lay around getting to room temp. until 0600 at which time it will go on the grill. I will post the results. Thanks again for your help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean Torges:
[qb] In your case, don't worry if you are using it with the WSM because you never reach those temps [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Au contrare, Monsieur Dean. I regularly see my WSM above 450* when I first assemble it, and -- in the case of whole turkeys-- I place the bird on quite a bit before the cooker temp drops to my target of 325-350. I'm looking to color and crisp the skin with an initial period of higher temps. Therefore, I always wait until I know the cooker is stable at the target cooking range before pressing the probe thermo into service. (Not flaming you here, just illustrating a probe-frying scenario.)

I have bought several pyrex thermos at Bed and Beyond, so far they have all survived. They are easy to get and cheap and if they last a season be happy.

one of the nice things about the pyrex is that it says it is guaranteed for life. I had one that went bad and took it back to bed bath and beyond and they exchanged it for a new one at no charge. it was over a year since I had it. good reason to buy pyrex brand. I've heard that polden are hard to get replaced.

I got my new bbq guru. can't wait to use it and will let everyone know how it works out. a little more pricy that a good thermometer but theres a lot more to it.

les

I purchased the same model Pyrex therm. from BB&B about 2 years ago. I'm happy to report that I've had no problems with it so far, and I have cooked just about everything you could think of on the WSM ( butts, ribs, turkey, chicken...)
Come to think of it, I'm still using the original batteries that came with it, so I'm probably due to change them out soon. But I have had nothing but good performance with the Pyrex.

Good Luck !

I had a Pyrex just sitting in a drawer waiting to use and use it I did on my first outing. Worked perfectly. I was a little afraid, as you were, to put it in the "grill" but then realized the temp wasn't going to be anywhere near 400 if I did it right. Worked great. But I've only used it once!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back