Putting a Q300 together

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
OK, getting a Q300 together for my kid who's buying her first house. Thank you Jacob. The handle itself was too small BUT the spacers were dead on perfect as were the screws.
As you can imagine I am having to do this on a strict budget. I got the grill itself for basically nothing but the gas money to go get it a little over a year ago, There is no grate for it. So While I would like to try one of the thick stainless options not wanting to drop over $120 for a set of grates. I think I will order these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNS9JSK/?tag=tvwb-20 they seem well regarded and cost is reasonable.
I also need to find if I can a reasonable catch pan holder. The one on the grill looks like swiss cheese. Serviceable.......................yeah but not good. If someone has one PM me. Hard to wrap my head around $25 to $30 for one :D
Otherwise all the more I need do is a good cleaning and I think I will give the lid a nice coat of paint. Maybe in bright red since it will contrast nicely to the dark gray color of her house (assuming it appraises LOL)
Anyone here have feedback on those grates? If good I will be ordering them, some drip pans and a new igniter kit for it

OK, getting a Q300 together for my kid who's buying her first house. Thank you Jacob. The handle itself was too small BUT the spacers were dead on perfect as were the screws.
As you can imagine I am having to do this on a strict budget. I got the grill itself for basically nothing but the gas money to go get it a little over a year ago, There is no grate for it. So While I would like to try one of the thick stainless options not wanting to drop over $120 for a set of grates. I think I will order these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNS9JSK/?tag=tvwb-20 they seem well regarded and cost is reasonable.
I also need to find if I can a reasonable catch pan holder. The one on the grill looks like swiss cheese. Serviceable.......................yeah but not good. If someone has one PM me. Hard to wrap my head around $25 to $30 for one :D
Otherwise all the more I need do is a good cleaning and I think I will give the lid a nice coat of paint. Maybe in bright red since it will contrast nicely to the dark gray color of her house (assuming it appraises LOL)
Anyone here have feedback on those grates? If good I will be ordering them, some drip pans and a new igniter kit for it

Larry, if you have an old Genesis catch tray you might be able to cut out the tray part from the holder and drop the Genny tray in it. Might not be real pretty but should be functional. Just an idea.

I thought about that but the Genesis tray is large enough to fit the little drip pans. So would be the same size and not fit as I actually have one LOL

I thought so. Since I never really got any feedback on the stainless grates I may order another set of these for myself

Well I got the Q300 for the kid cleaned out. I used Zep oven cleaner. Worked MEH. But clean enough. I installed a new style igniter as well. Quite different from the old style. Works great though.
I bought the Uniflasy grate and like it well enough I bought a second one for my own Q320 who's grate is disintegrating badly. Weird thing I noticed on the grill I fixed up for the kid. Flames are very blue and even though I cleaned the burners well the outer ring burner is very slow to light all the way around. Once lit though it burns very nice. On my 320 the burners both light off pretty much instantly.
20200829_191444.jpg20200829_191441.jpg

Looking good.
What new style igniter did you install? One of those electronic ones with batteries?

Yep it sure is. And it seems to be a better design with a more positive spark right where flames have to propagate

It does seem to work very well. BTW I used the grill I just put together to roast up some corn last night and check out how well and even it will heat up. Very nice indeed. I got it hot and then wiped down the new grate with grapeseed oil. Let that cool slightly and season the grates. Then got it up in temp again and put the corn on. Perfect cook
Then turned my attention to my own 320 and the same new UniFlasy grates I bought for it. Again got it good and hot and wiped down with grapeseed oil. Set the outer ring burner to low/med and center burner off. Slapped on some chicken seasoned with my homemade rub. Results were outstanding. The old grill has it's mojo back after a nice deep clean and new grates
20200901_190113.jpg20200901_190111.jpg

Larry, are you sure you have my mailing address right? Once again, I didn't get an invitation.
I am going to have to do some Buffalo Chicken wings this weekend. That chicken has me hungry.

Just looked at those grates and they look pretty good for replacements for my Q300 and Q320, been using the Grillgrates for the 300 series on top of my rusted out grates and been very happy with their performance. Had those been available earlier when I needed grates, I might have sprung for 2 as my Grillgrate Combo cost about the same. Will be monitoring longevity comments as my Q grills are long-term keepers, but I don’t expect the Grillgrates to wear out before the rusted grates give out.

Back