Put meat in pan, or on grate?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Just got my bullet.
I decided putting my meat in a pan instead of directly on the grate will save tons of clean up.
I tried this with chicken breasts (started with something quick and easy) and it tasted fine; the meat was smokey.
My question is: Am I going to miss anything by putting the meat in a pan vs. directly on the grate?

I don't believe he's referring to putting the meat in the water pan.

Most of the popular BBQ meats render out a lot of fat during the cooking process, which is in fact the aim of cooking them low and slow. By putting the meat in a pan, you would have it sitting in that grease and liquid for the better part of the time, making for a sort of post roast-like result-- at least on the bottom. If you find the results acceptable, though, you're of course free to do it however you prefer.

Doug,
You nailed it, thanks!
Yeah, with chicken breasts, no real issue with the pan - just a little big of juice collected. But with real BBQ meats, what you're saying makes sense. I'll have to skip the pan and use the grate. I don't want my meat sitting in its own krud. I'm assuming the water pan with water in it will hold the krud and I can just dump it out. I'll use the info. on cleaning grates and the water pan and also wrapping the pan in foil. I ordered the Brinkmann 2 gal. - that seemed like a no-brainer and was also cheap.

Taking Will's suggestion one step further. You could use a roast rack in a foil lined pan. That would keep the meat out of the fat and save on the clean up (except for the roast rack ;-). Which brings me to the mess I made when I tipped the water pan into the coals during clean up last weekend lol. Yuck!

Back