Pushing the envelope

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm trying to increase the capacity of my WSM.I've come up with an idea I'm going to try out this weekend. I took a rib rack that I got from Williams Sonoma. It's too big and my ribs keep falling over. So I decided to cut out the inbetweem metal hoops. I left about 2 inch stub that I angled and filed down. I'm thinking that I can get three butts sidways in the opening. The butt will sit on the stubbs to hold it in place. I don't know if it is really needed though. If it works I'd be able to cook six butts. My butts are kind of big. I'm sure it would work with 8 pounders. This would allow you to cook almost 50 lbs of pork butt. Will let evryone know the results.

My concern would be whether or not the WSM could generate enough heat to fully cook 50 lbs worth of meat. That is a lot of mass there.

I've done pretty near 50 pounds before. no problem - you just have to light a bit more of the charcoal at the beginning to get it up to temp quickly.

Paul - interesting proposition. I've had the same problem with the Williams Sonoma rack - the arch is too high so the ribs fall through. frustrating, because it would be the perfect rack otherwise.

Back