Pulling very hot pork-new technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

John L

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm not sure if this has come up here before or if this technique is new or not, but pulling pork right off of the smoker can be a painful experience. I know some folks use a couple of forks, but I prefer good old fashioned pulling by hand. The downside to this is, it's VERY hot right off of the smoker.

I usually let my butts cool down for an hour or so before pulling, but in a recent contest that simply wasn't an option. We had to pull 3 shoulders in a real hurry (had to foil them to get them up to temp in the first place, very windy).

What I ended up doing, was slipping our plastic food-prep gloves over my insulated jersey gloves (it was pretty cold out), and pulled all 3 butts in record time (about 20 minutes total) with no pain. This worked so well, that now I do this at home, just to speed the entire process along.

Thought I'd share with y'all. Sorry if this was a tried and true technique that everyone already knows about.

P.S. Sorry, I meant to put this in the Beginner forum, not sure if it belongs here or not.

Neoprene gloves. Five bucks at Home Depot. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(They look like the yellow ones sold for housecleaning except are black and thicker and neoprene.)

I don't believe I could do the actual pulling of the pork with neophrene gloves. I use them to remove the meat and to seperate large pieces, but I have to let it cool down a little and then pull with my bare hands. That is if I want to really seperate the meat into strands, which I prefer. Maybe there is some type of glove I'm not familiar with. On the other "hand" maybe I'm trying to do too much pulling ?

I have 2 large 3 prong forks and if the butt is done right I can shread it in just a couple of minutes. I shread it like someone digging a hole in dry sand with 2 hands....fast.

Like Tony, I prefer a long-stranded, shredded finished product as opposed to "thumb-sized chunks". Two carving forks and a shallow roasting pan make short work on a just-off-the-cooker butt.

John L
I've pulled whole hog using your setup, much better feel than most other gloves and very cheap.
I have found it to be the best for me.
Jim

We have Northern Tool and Equipment stores around here. They sell all types of gloves. The ones I use for pulling are a heavy PVC glove (almost like the ones used to shuck steamed oysters) but that are not quite as thick PVC and insulated on the inside. These are great and make short work of the pulling.

Jim

Doing a whole hog is different than doing a pork butt. There are alot of bones to work around in a hog, plus the skin. I use gloves for hogs, forks for butts

There is a product called "bearpaws" which is supposed to do a great job of pulling pork and was mentioned on this forum some time ago. If it's worth it to you to spend this amount, and it wasn't to me, it might be a nice new toy. Find at www.barbecue-store.com/bearpaws

Paul

PS sorry about the site problem. Go to the barbecue-store site, then accessories, then Paws, then scroll down

I figgered that there were ready-made rubber gloves or something already out there, I just thought it was kindofa neat trick in a pinch. MacGyver would be proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back