Pulled pork yield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Marco

TVWBB Fan
Howdy folks...

I?m just done cooking,pulling, packing in foodsaver bags and eating some pulled pork.
They were two 10 1/2 pound (each) butts and took about 18 hours in the WSM.

Today was the first time that i put the meat onto the kitchen scale after packing, and i was kinda shocked from the results.
The pork was without skin and just a little fat left on and bone in.
Whats was left from 21 pounds after pulling was a mere 8 pounds.

I always thought i?d have a loss of about a third to a half maximum, but 38% is a very bad result.

Do you have similar results with pork or how much do you get usually from a raw butt ?

The meat was not enhanced with anything and it wasnt dry after cooking.

Don Marco

A recent one, 7.17 lbs, yielded exactly 4 lbs. net. I didn't weigh the net from Saturday's 6.75 pounder, but it seemed to be about 4 lbs. as well.

Don,

The weight you lost went into the FLAVOR! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

So, what you have is 8 lbs of pulled pork and 13 lbs of lip-smackin' BBQ Flavor. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Well, you mean compressed flavour ?
Hmmm...
I might sell that to the NASA.Astronauts food will never be the same again and a mission to mars is possible... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Plus i earn a hell of a lot of money and then take over the the world!
*evillaughter* /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Don Marco

By the way, talking bout flavour ...

Last time i had to fininish a butt in the oven (wayyyyy back though...) i could collect all the fat drippings wich were even better than the butt itself...fried some potatoes and onions in it and it was to die for (my doc says it really is...).

Everytime i try that in the WSM the fat is black and smelly and absolutely not edible.
Is there NAY way to collect the fat in the WSM for a later use ?

Don Marco

Last time I did butts, I foiled them at 170* and pulled them at 200*. The foil had lots of that yummy sauce, er... grease, in it.

Just pretend you're on the Atkins Diet: Make peace with grease. Fat is your friend /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Well, actually i am on the atkins diet for quite a while...why do you think i cook 21 pounds of pork a week ? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, dont use it all within a week, but pulled pork is excellent as a snack in between the other good stuff you get on atkins.

How bout mixing Pulled pork with some mayonaise,chipotle flakes, diced cheddar and some onions ?
Let sit for 1/2 hour and you?ve got a salad (well, i call it salad...) you?d kill for.

Don Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back