Pulled Pork - Pork Loin

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I made pulled pork from a pork loin last year and it came out very good. Leaner than a butt but pulled very nice. I wish I had recorded how I did it. Did I just get lucky? I am going to try another one this week while I smoke some ribs.

I have to admit I never have tried to pull a loin, I would think it's far too lean....but, I have "shaved" a loin in a meat slicer with great results.

Brian - I'm really thinking you got lucky. Most pork loin is almost completely devoid of any fat at all on the inside. Are you sure you had a loin last time?

Only thing I can think of is that maybe you got the part of the loin that nears the butt, so you got some good marbled pieces in there too.

If you are doing another loin, don't do it like pulled pork. Chances are you'll have a very, very dry and tough piece of meat. I'd take it to 140 max, then take it out. You can marinate or inject it or whatever, but most critical is don't over cook.

If you want pulled pork, a pork shoulder is the easiest cut on earth to bbq and get great results. It will take longer, but nothing is more easy on the smoker. Rub it, put it in a 225-250-ish smoker and let her ride until the meat gets to 195. That will make some amazing pulled pork.

Brian,

Don't listen to Adam, I want to hear your method and experience with your next pulled loin. Tell us whether your last one was a fluke or you've found a new way to cook pork loin.

Jim

I know people who do pork loin in the oven and shread it up for sammies. It turned out well the time I had theirs so I don't see why it wouldn't work in a smoker. I agree with Jim... go for it and tell me the results
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Josh

Back