pulled pork for 75

Donny Anderson

TVWBB Super Fan
1.) Can I fit enough butts on my WSM to feed 75 people? I assume that there is a portion/person average that someone would be willing to share that would be helpful in answering this question.
2.)What is the maximum capacity of servings you have gotten on one smoker and what strategy did you use to get to your total weight (number of butts vs. size of individual butts)?
3.) I assume that loading up the cooker probably extends the cook time also.
Thanks in advance.
Donny

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donny Anderson:
1.) Can I fit enough butts on my WSM to feed 75 people? I assume that there is a portion/person average that someone would be willing to share that would be helpful in answering this question.

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">In a mixed crowd, 1/4 to 1/2 pound per person. Split the difference and figure 1/3 lb. Since your yield will be approximately 50-60% of the uncooked weight, you should look to cook 45-50 lbs. worth.</span>

2.)What is the maximum capacity of servings you have gotten on one smoker and what strategy did you use to get to your total weight (number of butts vs. size of individual butts)?

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">About the max you can physically fit in the WSM is 6-- 3 on top, 3 on bottom.</span>

3.) I assume that loading up the cooker probably extends the cook time also.

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Only in that it will take you longer to get up to target cooking temp against that much mass. Consider sitting the meat out off refrigeration for an hour or so, and/or going with minimal water in the pan to start.</span>

Thanks in advance.
Donny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you feel this a too-ambitious undertaking, you can more easily do 2 sessions of three butts each. Pulled pork reheats easily without significant loss of quality.

Doug, is right. You can be easy on yourself and do it in two cooks or do it in one. I've had over 50 lbs of butt in my WSM. It requires you to juggle things around when putting them in and when taking them out but it can be done. It takes awhile for the WSM to get up to temp but once it's there it's almost like any other cook. By the way,I don't use water in my pan just cover it with foil

So 25 pounds of pork (yield) = 75 servings (@ 1/3 lb/person). I cooking on both racks shouldn't be an issue (hopefully). On my smaller cooks, I use water in the pan. Why minimal/no water? Does this establish temps quicker?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donny Anderson:
So 25 pounds of pork (yield) = 75 servings (@ 1/3 lb/person). I cooking on both racks shouldn't be an issue (hopefully). On my smaller cooks, I use water in the pan. Why minimal/no water? Does this establish temps quicker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did 4 butts a few weeks back (38 Lbs), and for these large capacity cooks I never start with any water. I'll add some water as temps get closer to the cooking temp, and I'll add some more water before going to bed for the night.

Did a similar cook for my mom's 80th birthday.

Remember that everyone may not eat pork.

I did 4 butts (2) 2 packs from Sam's on my WSM for 75 people and had some left over.

Also did boneless skinless breasts on my kettle. Did the butt cook a day ahead of time and put the pork in crock pots to serve.

Did the chicken the day of the event.

MikeZ

Back