Pulled Pork and Cooks Country Grill Fried Chicken

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
We purchased a pork butt on sale and ground half of it. I used the other half to try a new rub recipe.
The pulled pork came out great. Barb made a tangy coleslaw and some home fries from red potatoes as the sides.

48224806907_d443b961bc_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6584 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48224806357_486aa81eb5_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6586 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48224750641_ccdf91a026_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6589 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48224805167_22c1c0a619_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6594 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

A while ago we made Cooks Country Grill fried chicken wing and they were the best we’ve ever had. So this time we decided to try it with drums and thighs.

https://www.cookscountry.com/videos/3948-grill-fried-chicken-wings

48224804557_4210fde4a7_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6597 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48224803777_339679dc6e_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6600 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Success again.

Thanks for stopping by

Last edited:
Rich, can't see the recipe unless I join. Would it be possible for you to copy and paste it here?

Rich, can't see the recipe unless I join. Would it be possible for you to copy and paste it here?

Joan.
It's quite large so I sent you a PM with it. If you don't have a vortex just follow the instructions for a gas grill without it.

QUOTE=BillSmith;859337]Can you post it, Joan?[/QUOTE]
I' m sure Rich won't mind. Here tis

Grilled Vortex fried chicken wings or thighs

Joan,

This is the recipe I modified it to us a vortex, but other than that its the same as the recipe from Cooks Country.

Grilled Vortex Fried Chicken Wings or Thighs

Ingredients
Serves 4 to 6

Salt and pepper

¼ cup sugar

3 pounds chicken wings, cut at joints, wingtips discarded

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon granulated garlic

2 teaspoons paprika

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

3tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup Franks hot sauce divided

4 Tbs unsalted butter

Instructions

1. Dissolve 1/4 cup salt and sugar in 2 quarts cold water and ½ cup Frank’s hot sauce in large container. Add chicken and refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
2. Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Whisk flour, granulated garlic, paprika, cayenne, 1 tablespoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt together in large bowl. Remove chicken from brine. Working in batches of four, dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture, pressing to adhere. Place chicken on prepared rack. Refrigerate chicken, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
3A. FOR A CHARCOAL GRILL: Open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter mounded with charcoal briquettes (7 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour into the vortex. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
3B. FOR A GAS GRILL: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn primary burner to high and turn off other burner(s). (Adjust primary burner [or, if using three-burner grill, primary burner and second burner] as needed to maintain grill temperature of 425 degrees.)
4. Clean and oil cooking grate. Place chicken, fatty side up, on cooler side of grill, arranging drumettes closest to coals. Cook chicken, covered, until lightly browned and coating is set, about 30 minutes for charcoal or about 45 minutes for gas.
5. Brush chicken with oil until no traces of flour remain (use all oil). Cover and continue to cook until coating is golden brown and chicken registers between 180 and 200 degrees, about 30 minutes longer for charcoal or about 45 minutes longer for gas. Transfer chicken to clean wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Make the buffalo sauce using the remaining Frank’s hot sauce and four table spoons of unsalted butter, microwave for one minute. Place the wings in the buffalo sauce and stir to coat
Serve.

Last edited:
QUOTE=BillSmith;859337]Can you post it, Joan?
I' m sure Rich won't mind. Here tis

Grilled Vortex fried chicken wings or thighs

Joan,

This is the recipe I modified it to us a vortex, but other than that its the same as the recipe from Cooks Country.

Grilled Vortex Fried Chicken Wings or Thighs

Ingredients
Serves 4 to 6

Salt and pepper

¼ cup sugar

3 pounds chicken wings, cut at joints, wingtips discarded

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon granulated garlic

2 teaspoons paprika

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

3tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup Franks hot sauce divided

4 Tbs unsalted butter

Instructions

1. Dissolve 1/4 cup salt and sugar in 2 quarts cold water and ½ cup Frank’s hot sauce in large container. Add chicken and refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
2. Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Whisk flour, granulated garlic, paprika, cayenne, 1 tablespoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt together in large bowl. Remove chicken from brine. Working in batches of four, dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture, pressing to adhere. Place chicken on prepared rack. Refrigerate chicken, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
3A. FOR A CHARCOAL GRILL: Open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter mounded with charcoal briquettes (7 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour into the vortex. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
3B. FOR A GAS GRILL: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn primary burner to high and turn off other burner(s). (Adjust primary burner [or, if using three-burner grill, primary burner and second burner] as needed to maintain grill temperature of 425 degrees.)
4. Clean and oil cooking grate. Place chicken, fatty side up, on cooler side of grill, arranging drumettes closest to coals. Cook chicken, covered, until lightly browned and coating is set, about 30 minutes for charcoal or about 45 minutes for gas.
5. Brush chicken with oil until no traces of flour remain (use all oil). Cover and continue to cook until coating is golden brown and chicken registers between 180 and 200 degrees, about 30 minutes longer for charcoal or about 45 minutes longer for gas. Transfer chicken to clean wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Make the buffalo sauce using the remaining Frank’s hot sauce and four table spoons of unsalted butter, microwave for one minute. Place the wings in the buffalo sauce and stir to coat
Serve.[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it, don't no why I was concerned about the size. Another senior moment.:rolleyes:

Back