Pulled beef advice

Dan Kelly

Hi all,
I have been doing great, have about 9-10 successful smokes under my belt since I posted a while back....
I wanted to do pulled beef tomorrow to try something different, but couldn't find a "roast". So I bought this chuck under blade roast. You guys think I can follow Chris' pulled beef recipe from the virtual bullet with this cut?? Is that similar to a chuck eye roast?

IMG_1910.jpgIMG_1911.jpg

I don't know beef cuts like I should but I can tell you I've used chuck roasts to make French dip sandwiches twice in the past 18 months and they were awesome. However; I used the Instant Pot on both occasions. I need to change that.

I did the same cut on pepper stout beef. As long as it cooks slow and to the right temp, possibly around 205 it will render down and pull.
Check out that recipe on the pepper stout beef if you want to use it for sammies or something like that.

Here is what I posted about the cook

If you want to go big go to a restaurant supply grocery store and get a 24 pound primal chuck roll and smoke it for 24+ hours....otherwise I've had success making pulled beef with anything that is labeled 'chuck roast'

I just did Chris's method about 2 weeks ago. I also did a corned beef at the same time. Mine chucks look like yours and cut each one in 4. They were 100 % grass fed from Lidl and as most they were a little tough. We had to pull out a lot of sinew type stuff but it was quite tasty. I think I will try some of the grass fed beef from Whole foods, as they have some nice cuts and short ribs I have never tried making. The corned beef was super. I made cabbage, carrots, and potatoes from the broth of the chuck and did it all in the Instant Pot. I even used the new meat slicer to make corned beef sandwiches and home made coleslaw.

Back